multi pin connectors

Re: multi pin connectors

I've built several multi-pin systems and the Amphenol were the easiest to make, just not as strong as the Elco/Edac. Going with the Whirlwind Mass Connectors were just too far out of my price range.

As stated earlier there is an artform to doing this. My one recommendation would be to over count your pins if you are making your own. Elco makes a few different sizes and it's easier to get everything in there if there's extra room.

Also if you're going to put quick connects on both ends of a snake so it gives you a trunk with a fan out and stage box- it might be helpful to wire the snake so it can get pulled either direction- no male and female so if it gets pulled backwards it won't matter.

I built my first Elco connector for my doghouse and it's been in service for almost 5 years with no issues.

Try the Syntax connectors at iolabcorp.com. Way less expensive than the Amphenol Chinese crap and better built. Plus if you have a 32 channel job, they have a 100 pin one instead of a costly 150. They also have the MASS type if you're looking for those.

Back in the 80s, I had to build a multi-pin snake for a job where the snake had to be plugged in very quickly. It was for country acts performing in the middle of an horse arena. The stage was a flat-bed trailer with fold-down front and rear sections. The monitor rig was on the main part of the flat-bed, the drums were on a rolling riser, as were the guitar and bass amps. All the other mic stands and the monitors were crammed onto the main stage as well. This whole mess was dragged out into the middle of the arena with a tractor, bouncing over the wood chips and horse and cow crap. Everyone on the crew was riding with it, holding onto the cymbals and the mic stands, trying to keep everything from toppling over. Once we hit the center of the arena, the sides would drop down, we'd push the drum and amp risers back and secure them, carry the monitors and vocal mics stands forward and plug in the power and snake.

The contract specified that this all had to happen within ten minutes of the front and rear sections hitting the ground, while the headliner came out to the stage.

Another positive side effect to mults is reducing the error rate too. I had them (Elcos) for my outboard on my analog rig and it saved me hours of troubleshooting. I always seemed to plug the end of one of the inserts or something into the wrong 1/4" in the back of the rack and then would be frantic as to why something simple didn't work :)
But if you have a problem inside the multipin, it can add quite a bit of time to the troubleshooting. And the repair process is much longer than with simple XLRs.

So it does vary.

It just depends on how you look at it.

I have a 32 ch system and have been entertaining the idea of using multi pin connectors to speed up set-up time. My system is used with my same band 1-3 times a week and im doing the set up 99% of the time.

Whirlwind Mass or the Ramtech connector seem to be the most robust while EDAC connectors seem to be a lil easier to work on and are most definitely cheaper.

Seems as if a lot of people get a lot of millage out of the edac connectors when properly cared for (empty pin blocks to prevent bent pins) etc.

Crimp tool- ive seen these from 100.00 to 670.00 what should i be looking for here.

Id be interested in hearing any stories , articles or advice that anyone has on this matter.

Thanks.

Good info in the other posts but here is my experience...

About 20 years ago we went with Whirlwind W3 connectors everywhere and haven't looked back...

That is because we are always looking forward to them coming back from Whirlwind repaired!

As in, we are always bending or breaking pins and having to get them repaired.

Since we have something like thirty W3 connectors at this point in our systems it is hard to make a change.

They are good multipin connectors if you are the only person to ever use them, they are robust and seem very water tight. It is just accidents that happen when mating the small pins that are our the big issue. You need to Have good light to line them up and take your time.

Unfortunately, many of ours are old enough that they are soldier not crimp. But even the crimp is more tricky than I have time for. I have other things to do.

the W1 and W2 connectors in our system seem much sturdier, as the pins are larger and they are easier to line up. My only complaint with them is losing the caps.

W1 is 12 channel, W2 is 20 channel, W3 is 40 channel.

We have also out grown the 40 channel capabilities of the W3, something else to keep in mind...

My recommendation these days would be to save that money towards a console with a digital snake ;)

Jason

typed on a tiny mobile device, yuck.

Last edited:

I'm partial to RAM Latch. The extra working room and layout makes it easy to wire and field service.
Yes, I am partial to the RAM style products, too. I've made a few of these things and they are definitely easier to build and repair than the MASS and ELCO/EDAC connectors are. I especially like that the "CPC" (Circular Plastic Connector) products also all use the same pins and sockets that the Ramlatch products use. This way you can stock ONE crimper, one style of pins, and one style of sockets for both your Ramlatch disconnects and your 12 channel subsnakes. It makes for a good system.

Yes, I am partial to the RAM style products, too.

I've used these connectors and they work fine. But I'm not as partial as you to proprietary products such as RAMLATCH. I prefer standards such as MIL-C-5015, where we can get connectors from multiple vendors that mate with one another. Prior to any show, we can build assemblies based on price or performance; during an emergency, we can get something from that vendor who can deliver the fastest.

Plus, this stuff is just darned manly... no plastic for me, I've had enough problems with those plastic NL8's to last a lifetime...