Multipole connector advice

Carl Klinkenborg

Oct 25, 2018
Bideford, Devon. UK
Hi All, I might have a need for a signal multicore connection (up to twelve balanced cores) between racks for speed and simplicity. (Crossovers to amps). I have only ever used XLR/XLR interconnects before, so do you folks have any recommendations, or requirements needed for audio multipin connectors? I have spied some NOS Russian MILSPEC-ski aviation connectors on ebay which are considerably cheaper than mainstream PA multipoles!
Any and all advice welcome.
Stay safe All.

For 12 pair:
  • AMP CPC-37
  • Whirlwind W1 (aka Ampenol MP62 series 39-pin)
  • Amphenol MP41 series 37 pin (Also LK, SVS and Link make similar connectors that will mate)
CPC is inexpensive and easy, but they are plastic shells. Entertainment Mfg makes some better back shells at a premium. MP41/Link/SVS is robust and a nice 1/4 turn collar. W1 is annoying (to me), but they are a known quantity.

Tooling will not be cheap, but once you are tooled up the construction is easy.

Whichever you choose, you want your pins to be crimp and not solder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Klinkenborg
I'd avoid oddball connectors, unless you don't mind completely redoing the work if you ever need a replacement connector - there's a nonzero chance that they will be unobtanium later.

You might also see what's available used - many of the lower pin count multipin connectors were used for things like insert snakes on analog consoles, so could be taking up room in the back corner of a shop somewhere.

As always, buy what you can rent more of nearby. 12 pair multipin snakes were a way of life back in the bad old analog days. I'm told that Clair had a person who's entire 40 hour a week job was repairing AMP ( not Amphenol ) CPC connectors. Most of that has gone away with the advent of digital consoles and internal effects inserts which means as Rob says many sound co's that had large inventories of analog boards and effects racks will likely have a case full of multipin insert snakes buried deep in their shop. I know I did.

Used to use the Amp G Series connectors, easy to wire (and fix), robust, available in 1-block (23 contacts) 2-block (46-contacts) or 3-block (69 contacts). Very common on sub snakes, drive snakes, rack interconnects back in the day.
If I remember correctly, the tooling for those parts and the Amp® Quick Latch® was bought by Ramtech (Lawrence Rambo) in the 1990's, not sure if they are still in business.
They also list the CPC connectors.

Phone: 352-222-9222

Used to use the Amp G Series connectors, easy to wire (and fix), robust, available in 1-block (23 contacts) 2-block (46-contacts) or 3-block (69 contacts). Very common on sub snakes, drive snakes, rack interconnects back in the day.
If I remember correctly, the tooling for those parts and the Amp® Quick Latch® was bought by Ramtech (Lawrence Rambo) in the 1990's, not sure if they are still in business.
They also list the CPC connectors.

Phone: 352-222-9222
The G-block is still (sort of) popular with the Broadway crowd. It is/was mostly Wireworks making them, but I know Entertainment Manufacturing Group does as well, and Whirlwind may also.

You are correct that Ramtech is/was doing the Amp Quick Latch connectors (dubbed Ramlatch). I think Rambo may still be in business, but I don't know what agreement he has with EMFG for sales/production, as they seem to be the ones doing most of the builds that I've seen in the last 5+ years.