Mute-group implementations

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Something that came up in the big X32 thread a while back was a discussion about how its mute groups are implemented and how this differs from some users' preference.

This got me to thinking about how the various mixer's I've worked with implement mute groups and got me wondering how many different ways are there?

I know of 3; are there more? What console use each system. Perhaps this might get "big" like Bink's mixer insert list from way back (which appears to have dropped off the web BTW) While I've not scoured manuals I'm guessing this (like the insert data) is difficult to find in print.

- When mute-group is engaged the channel mute can unmute the channel
- When a individually muted channel is muted and then un-muted via a mute group the channel says muted.
- When a channel is part of multiple muted mute-groups and one mute-group is un-muted the channel stays muted
- Editing mute-groups via mute button + modifier buttons/modes
Ex:
Allen Heath GL 4000

- When mute group is engaged the channel mute cannot unmute the channel
- When a individually muted channel is muted and then un-muted via a mute group the channel says muted.
- When a channel is part of multiple muted mute-groups and one mute-group is un-muted the channel stays muted
- Editing mute-groups via mute button + modifier buttons/modes
Ex:
Yamaha M7CL

- When mute group is engaged the channel mute cannot unmute the channel
- Editing mute-groups via individual mute-group buttons
Ex:
Soundcraft GB-8

Are there other modes of operation? What other consoles fit each mode? Which style of operation do you prefer? Does it vary for different applications?

I'm working from memory about the consoles above so will double check my memory when I get a chance.

Thanks

Philip

Re: Mute-group implementations

We've got a Crest HP-Eight.

Channel mutes are independent of the mute groups.

That is, if the channel is muted and a mute group is activated, it remains muted. When the mute group is deactivated, it remains muted.

If a channel is not muted, it mutes and unmutes with the mute group.

The mute group is a "mask", so to speak. I'm not sure why you would ever want the mute group state to override the individual channel state. I'm sure there is a reason where it might make sense - just not to me :)