My current pet forum peeves

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
I am hopelessly addicted to threaded forum discussions, and I have probably had one bulletin board or another open in the background of my computer for over 10 years. Obviously, my current addiction is sound boards.

I think I have seen about every online behavior imaginable. However, In the changing of the guard of the most common posters in "the old home place" two new things have come up that really dig at me.

1. Just because I choose to do most of my posting in the junior varsity (lounge), doesn't mean every thread needs to be a race to the bottom when talking about the price and quality of equipment. It just seems to me that the longer a thread goes, the lower the standards go.

2. I really can't say I am interested in the perpetual is the Brand A, Brand B, or Brand C powered speaker "better" threads. Several people, who opinion I trust, have posted informative reviews of the perfomance of a particular box. That is useful. If I wanted another "GC listening test" I can get those reviews from the GC website. Honestly, if I couldn't go into a show where SOS were appropriate, and have a good show with ANY of the top end MI powered speakers, I should probably give up sound and take up golf (and you don't want to see me with a club in my hand).

Maybe, the difference is that I understand the value and cost of professional equipment and I am unwilling to let the little details be the limiting factor in the overall quality of my show. In my mind it is more likely that my goals are higher. Yes I am a weekend warrior. Over the course of a year I probably average 1.5-2 shows a week. My goal is to step up to each show so prepared that no one will realize that I am not doing this full time. That means I would like to give professional answers and receive professional answers, even in the junior varsity, because I expect to take that information and do a professional show.

Currently, I am having a hard time feeding my addiction due to the lower level of forum traffic, but I am also glad that these peeves have not really hit this forum yet. Let us keep it professional and establish the tone and the standard before we are discovered by the general masses.

Well that is my "Spring break- no class tonight" state of mind.

Re: My current pet forum peeves

For the reasons stated above and a few others I felt like I could never use the LAB. Seems like there was a lot of lap measurements going on and not enough free ideas flowing. I'm enjoying this forum and appreciate the good discussion. It's a lot like the Rational Forum in the sense that it's civilized and no question is irrelevant or dumb. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

cheers and thanks!

Re: My current pet forum peeves

Hello Jay,

So, what are you saying? That you don't like Gemini -brand speakers? (teasing of course)

What struck me as a distant familiarity as in your statements... "Maybe, the difference is that I understand the value and cost (and perfromance?) of professional equipment ...."

The World of Audio by it's nature, is full of misinformation, chock full of the highest forms of Mathmatics, Physics and Mechanical principles, and ranges from the casual listener to the double PHD in a basement Laboratory. Somewhere between the casual listener and the Mad Scientist is the Audio Operating Profession. It's a wide spectrum.

While some Audio "Professionals" are completely satisfied with the most basic, low cost gear, others have grown to appreciate the high-end gear, it's flexibility, functionality, and precision, and can blinded, HEAR the difference. Quality Audio gear...is something that one can acquire a taste for, while raising a standard, perceivable through experience.

Being that there is two user levels established in the Forums, you'll have to sort through the information that you deem undesirable.

Good Luck, Keep your head up, and a stiff upper lip.

Cheers,
Hammer