Need a louder dj monitor

Re: Need a louder dj monitor

Rob,
Yeah i've tried just one cab before, that was how it was at first because I bought one MRX515 at a time, and it just wasn't loud enough. I also measured the spl with a class 2 meter, fast response (125ms) and C weighting with pink noise and also tried with a few types of music to give me a more real world reading at 1 metre from the grille and saw 119db, so I knew the 124db continuous spec from JBL's data sheet was fictional, plus it was calculated anyway so what do you expect, lol.
A normal "fast" response is not "fast enough" to measure the peaks.

I did a show a while back and at FOH (100' or so frfom the stage) I was measuring 118ish dB C slow and 128ish dB dB C Fast. When I went to impulse mode (a very fast response) I was getting around 136dB. So the system was actually producing 136dB peak-but the normal "fast" response time was measuring about 8dB less.

It seems you are VERY quick to jump on manufacturer specs-but you don't even use a meter to accurately measure the SPL.

There is nothing wrong with a calculated number-if it is based on real numbers.

Something ELSE that you probably have not taken into account is the actual measuring distance. If you measure to close to a cabinet-you will likely get a wrong number-because you are in the near field.

Many manufacturers measure at a distance away and then "back calculate" to the 1M number. This may not make any sense to you-but you have to realize WHY they do that and what the SPL number is supposed to be used for.

It is used to help determine how loud a particular cabinet will be at a particular distnace. Unless the number is based on something that can be used in the calculations-it is a "bad" number.

A good distance is 10M away. THen you add 20dB to the number measured (for the 20dB loss over that distance) and you get a usable number.

Now 10M may be a bit far-but 2-4 meters is a good number-for small boxes. At least to get closer than a 1M measurement will provide.

If you are going to jump on JBL for the bad numbers-then you need to measure other cabinets-IN THE SAME WAY WITH THE SAME METER. I bet you will find that all cabinets fall a bit short. SO then are you going to start to say the everybody is wrong-and YOU are correct?

You many find yourself on a very small island real quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan...

Nobody knows the troubles he's seen,,,,,,,,

On the old PSW Forums he'd just claim that all the problems were being experienced by another person whom he was trying to help, maintaining 3 separate on-line identities.....until the mods busted him for it. When he had multiple on-line personalities he could blame-shift at will and maintain an insular "I'm not doing anything wrong" attitude.

I'm not out to bust his chops totally, just to keep things in a perspective as to his continuing tendencies to bait and argue in nearly every thread which he starts.

Very trollish.....

What do you use to calibrate your SPL meter?

Oh my God yes, I think my heart just skipped a beat.

Richard, you're not honestly suggesting you have a professional SLM and a pistonphone or equivalent SPL generator to calibrate it, which has itself been recently calibrated? If you do, I suggest that you sell them and buy yourself the monitor you have always dreamed about, should give you enough budget for almost anything. If not, and you've been "recalibrating" your everyman's SPL meter... I would throw it out and buy another, God knows what its readings mean now.

Oh my God yes, I think my heart just skipped a beat.

Richard, you're not honestly suggesting you have a professional SLM and a pistonphone or equivalent SPL generator to calibrate it, which has itself been recently calibrated? If you do, I suggest that you sell them and buy yourself the monitor you have always dreamed about, should give you enough budget for almost anything. If not, and you've been "recalibrating" your everyman's SPL meter... I would throw it out and buy another, God knows what its readings mean now.
Exactly why I posted the question-to which I have yet to get a response.

It seemed funny to me that he could afford such expensive measurement gear-but not have any money to spend to other audio gear-amps-speakers etc. With most people it is the other way around.

It seemed funny to me that he could afford such expensive measurement gear-but not have any money to spend to other audio gear-amps-speakers etc. With most people it is the other way around.

Nothing is more painful than the truth..........

Attachments

• the truth.jpg
    the truth.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

Not going to argue with the overall thread which I thought myself was pretty odd when I read it. JBL, I'm sure, doesn't do their sensitivity measurements with a GP grade meter in a non-ideal environment. But,
A class 2 meter and calibrator is really not that odd or expensive to have. Keeping it in calibration costs about 300$ a year if you do both the microphone and the calibrator. Most people will do just the calibrator and assume the microphone hasn't drifted too far off, which they normally don't if you take care of them.

OH here's a link to the one I'm sure JBL uses! :razz:
DT-8851 Digital Sound Noise dB Meter Data Logger datalogger PC USB interface NEW | eBay
And guess what, this one is CE certified in addition to being a real Class 2 meter!!!! 8O~8-O~:shock:

Last edited: