Need a Replacement for MobileMe's iDisk

Langston Holland

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2011
Pensacola
June 30th is the end of Apple's truly useful iDisk service that I've been using for years to host links to all those measurement screenshots as well as links to PDF based proposals to my clients. :(

So I'm in the market for a file sharing solution that will fit these needs and hopefully work with my beloved Transmit FTP app.

I'm into OSX and have an iPhone.

Did a couple of hours of searching today and saw so many things that I copped an attitude and decided on this post. I downloaded and tried out both SugarSync and DropBox and neither will allow you to share links to files that work in a post like I do with these forum based reviews. They are cheesy and force you into proprietary methods with toy apps.

Just a good 'ole fashioned web hosting location where I can park files with an FTP app and share them with a simple link would be great. I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks!

BTW - my rural location has all of (1) workable Internet access providers and that provider does not even have a paid option for file space or web hosting.

Re: Need a Replacement for MobileMe's iDisk

+1 - I have exactly the same complaint. iDisk was convenient to get files up to, and it was easy to give people a password to their own little "drop box" like area. The 20GB of space was enough for me to send around som decent sized audio tracks without a hosting provider complaining about the 800MB wav file on my site. I've tried some of the same things you have, and haven't found a good solution.

I ended up buying SmugMug for my photos, a web hosting service for my web site, and am goofing around with DropBox for the rest. My annual cost has gone up, and the functionality I cared about has gone down, since I don't make terribly effective use of my web space.

:(

You can get a shared web hosting account for around $100/year. Most have unlimited space now and ftp access with the ability to create addition users. I've had good luck with hostgator and bluehost.

You can get a shared web hosting account for around $100/year. Most have unlimited space now and ftp access with the ability to create addition users. I've had good luck with hostgator and bluehost.
The hosting providers with "unlimited space" that I spoke to qualify that by saying the content has to be related to the website - in other words, you can't put 50GB of personal backup files on your hosting plan.

I would agree. You should not backup your personal files to a shared web host. I don't think Langston was looking for a backup solution, but a way to share files with others.