Need recommendation for VNC for Windows XP and iPad

Re: Need recommendation for VNC for Windows XP and iPad

I have had decent luck with RealVNC and I think the iPad App is called VNCViewer. I will admit I have not tried the other VNC apps...but i really haven't needed too. The ipad control app has a very handy feature which allows you to control the cursor without being directly over it. I may describe it as trackball (or laptop touchpad) type control from any point on your ipad screen. I haven't checked lately but the last time I did the XP server version was free, but the Win7 version had a charge.

I use Tight VNC for various things. Ive been able to use VNC apps to access Tight VNC servers with no problems.

Last edited:

I've been using vine server for a few years on my live rig... have not used it in a while for that purpose after ditching the motion labs tablet and.. but it kicked ass every time I used it. That rig was a Motion Labs LE1600 controlling either an Intel Mac Mini, or a Macbook depending on the gig... never had any issues.

At home I have been running (Chicken Of the VNC) and although it has a silly name, it has been totally totally solid for me. I use it to control my entertainment macbook that lives with the TV... using a macbook pro to control it. Really no heavy lifting involved with this setup, although I will occasionally have netflix playing on the TV and will watch along on the MBPro over the VNC while I'm in the kitchen or things like that. It handles that task just fine and lets me wander around and control everything very easily.