need some recommendations for a 4 channel EQ

LiamSmith

Freshman
Jun 5, 2012
Ulster, NY
I currently use 2 stereo 15 band eq's for my monitor mixes 3-6 and have been getting tired of hacking away at the signal with such heavy handed eq to get rid of feedback. I would like to find a 4 or more channel eq that can fit in 2 rack spaces and weigh in at less than $300 used

I've seen a couple things that may fit the bill used. Namely:
Alesis DEQ830
Mackie QuadEQ

are there any other options? The mackie is impossible to find and I've heard occasional things about the alesis being noisy.

Re: need some recommendations for a 4 channel EQ

On that budget, I'd be looking at DSP-based units. Something like Behringer: FEEDBACK DESTROYER PRO FBQ2496 perhaps, to be used in PEQ mode, not automatic (although I haven't used that particular unit) is one example.

I just got chills going through me, Behringer probably makes the noisest equipment out there.

Liam,

Look into Ashley products. What eq's do you have now?, and is there any chance of 4 spaces?

recommendation: A larger rack. Then a pair of dbx 231. Maybe not the "best" but certainty affordable and usable for someone moving up from a dual 15 band.

A larger rack is not an option. I work alone and its already heavy enough. As well, I don't have a trailer yet and have maxed out my van. Its practically bursting at the seams now.

The Ashly is significantly out of my price range. Not an option.

Another option might be 2 dual 30 band 1u eq's. I know I have seen them on ebay or the-like in the past, but I just can't seem to find them now

Ditto on the Ashly Protea - plenty of them out there still, and they're pretty reliable. Plus you can remote control them over a serial port using Windows software... and usually you can do that over a spare XLR or snake channel, and leave the EQs by the amps.

How about two dbx drpa? four channels of 31 band eq, 2 rack spaces, plus feedback control, compression and limiter prob pretty close to your price range used

I currently use 2 stereo 15 band eq's for my monitor mixes 3-6 and have been getting tired of hacking away at the signal with such heavy handed eq to get rid of feedback. I would like to find a 4 or more channel eq that can fit in 2 rack spaces and weigh in at less than $300 used

Alesis DEQ830
Mackie QuadEQ

are there any other options? The mackie is impossible to find and I've heard occasional things about the alesis being noisy.

I know quite a few folks who use the DEQ830 and none of them are dummies.

Alesis DEQ830
Mackie QuadEQ

Liam,

I use the Alesis DEQ830 in my home stereo, and for monitors in two different rigs. They are noise free, far below the noise level of the Midas and A&H consoles in those rigs.
Unlike many (most) equalizers, the DEQ830 does exactly what the front panel indicates regarding boost and cut.
The RTA function is also quite useful for seeing feedback frequencies.

Having the ability to duplicate and store 100 curves is also quite useful. I don't miss the analog Klark Technic EQs I sold after getting the first DEQ830 at all.

Art

The DEQ830 is great. I have one myself and use it often. As long as it's not outdoors during the day. Then it's as good as a boat anchor.

Check that, At least a boat anchor has a function. The DEQ830 under sunlight only exists to frustrate me. So I guess it's more like a wife. Useful, but only under the right conditions.