Neutrik silent plugs

Re: Neutrik silent plugs

I have them on ALL of my 1/4 inch guitar cables, on both ends. That way, I don't have to pay attention to which end is being used. They have been rock solid for me, with no popping, as long as the jack you are plugging into is solid. You can still get pops if the jack is a piece of junk, which never happens with guitar players....

I bought a bunch of these years ago when they were first released and had problems with them on quite a few occasions with some guitars. They were just inconsistent, and not reliable enough to use in festival type situations etc for sure. I ended up tossing them. Maybe they have addressed this in a newer revision, not sure, since the other posters here don't seem to have had issues.

I bought a bunch of these years ago when they were first released and had problems with them on quite a few occasions with some guitars. They were just inconsistent...

The first version I saw had a small, round plunger that made the connection when the plug was inserted into a jack. At least, that was the theory. In practice, they could be fussy.

I don't see the same plunger on the current style. How do operate?

Dave

Thanks everyone for your replies!

The first version I saw had a small, round plunger that made the connection when the plug was inserted into a jack. At least, that was the theory. In practice, they could be fussy.

I don't see the same plunger on the current style. How do operate?

Dave

They use a magnet that closes a sealed reed switch. Kinda ingenious really!

I think there have been about three different generations. First had a little plunger switch, second had a sliding sleeve, third & current uses a switch based on a magnetic reed sensor.

I've only used the second kind, which works fine for unexpected unplugs but not much else.

Anyone use these?
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/professional-1/4-plugs/silentplug/

Just wondering if they really work and if there's any issues with them shorting when you don't want them to because of vibration or any other problems?

Sent from my iPhone
I made a couple cables a couple years ago and have only had one issue - a cable would not seat deep enough in one Telecaster. Simple "fix" was to swap cable ends. Other than that, operates as advertised.
frank

I think there have been about three different generations. First had a little plunger switch, second had a sliding sleeve, third & current uses a switch based on a magnetic reed sensor.

I've only used the second kind, which works fine for unexpected unplugs but not much else.
The only one I've seen available uses the sliding sleeve which magnetically operates an internal reed switch.
If there's a more recent model, please post a link. Neutrik only shows the one currently available:
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/professional-1/4-plugs/silentplug/