Neve 5045 vs Generic negative compressor/gate

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
What experience people have had in the field with the new Neve 5045 "Primary Source Enhancer" yet? I've play with in at a dealer demo and it seems to really decrease background noise and alleviate the first signs of impending feedback. I've working on arranging a demo rental so that I can play with it in-situ at my church.

Secondary has any one played around with "making" something like this in a free-wire DSP? As best I can tell most of what it's doing is "simply" a inverse/negative compressor with a limit on gain reduction. (See block diagram here: http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/downloads/block_level/5045_block.pdf)

Thanks

Philip

Re: Neve 5045 vs Generic negative compressor/gate

Philip,

check out Dave Stagl's review of the 5045 here: Primary Source Enhancement

I'm told that it's proven difficult to recreate the 5045 on a DSP unit -- there isn't a processing block that includes "Rupert Neve Magic"

Mike Eiseman
Yamaha Commercial Audio Systems

Re: Neve 5045 vs Generic negative compressor/gate

Hey Philip,
I purchased one around Easter--it does perform as advertised. It really does help eek out a few more dBs while keeping ringing at bay, AND not sounding too gate-y. It seems to be a gate with an adjustable amount of gain reduction, and a VERY well shaped attack and release envelopes. It also helps control the room noise in recordings.

My only complaint is that I wish the threshold knob had more range (went lower)--you really have to crank up the channel strip to get good level thru the unit (read: to keep the gate from closing during quieter sermon points).

Kevin H.