new centre speaker - advice

Anna Swanson

Mar 20, 2024
London
Greetings. - can anyone help with recommendations for a wide but low centre speaker? I need to create some space in my BDi cabinet for new equipement, by minimising the vertical height of my (adjustable) centre speaker shelf, to fit amps etc below.

I can have up to 90cm for width but would prefer to have a centre speaker of low height - 10cm-15cm ideally. I appreciate that this means having smaller drive units and making other compromises.

I've seen some options from Goldenear, Polk and various other US brands that might fit the bill, they're generally designed to go underneath TV's, but wondered if anyone had other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I can have up to 90cm for width but would prefer to have a centre speaker of low height - 10cm-15cm ideally. I appreciate that this means having smaller drive units and making other compromises.
Anna,

A good option to avoid the off-axis comb filtering (peaks and dips, lobes) problems of multiple horizontal speakers is a single coax driver.

The 4" B&C 4CXN36 coax would fit in your height requirements, in around a 2 liter sealed box response from ~95Hz-18kHz.
B&C makes the FBCXN36 passive crossover which will work for their 4", 5" or 6" coax drivers.

Art