New monitors.

Jimmy Hardin

Junior
Jan 29, 2013
Haven’t posted on here in a while so hello to you all.

I am looking for some new 15” monitors. I have looked all over and found some in my price range but there are a few things I don’t like about them Here is what I am looking for.

1 - Monitors that won’t be so Heavy that it’ll break your back to pick them up . Something like 30 or so pounds to pick up.

2 - Molded cabinets . So tired of the carpet ones .

3 - they have to have dual speakon.

4 - nothing too pricy I.E. nothing over $350.00

5 - they have to sound really good.

6 - watts wise I am looking for something around 400 continuous to 800 Watts program.

7 - I need them passive not powered.

Can anyone suggest something from my description? I have checked peavey, Mackie, RCF etc. and haven’t found nothing.

Sent from my iPhone

30lbs for a 15" speaker enclosure? You might be pushing on that one. Im usually looking for powered stuff at this point but I can see the advantage of running a cleaner Speakon setup. I have been running some JBL PRX series powered speakers with good results. I think if you shop around you can get some passive ones right around your budget.

Haven�t posted on here in a while so hello to you all.

I am looking for some new 15� monitors. I have looked all over and found some in my price range but there are a few things I don�t like about them Here is what I am looking for.

1 - Monitors that won�t be so Heavy that it�ll break your back to pick them up . Something like 30 or so pounds to pick up.

2 - Molded cabinets . So tired of the carpet ones .

3 - they have to have dual speakon.

4 - nothing too pricy I.E. nothing over $350.00

5 - they have to sound really good.

6 - watts wise I am looking for something around 400 continuous to 800 Watts program.

7 - I need them passive not powered.

Can anyone suggest something from my description? I have checked peavey, Mackie, RCF etc. and haven�t found nothing.

Sent from my iPhone
$350 and "sound really good" don't seem to play nice together.

I have 8 of the old Peavey 1545's. Bi-amp only, with 2 NL-4 on the speaker baffle. Crossover dish removed and replaced with a second handle. A lot easier to huff around with 2 handles.
Not what you wanted, but it is an option.
Chris.

Nothing worth buying new is going to be in that price range, unfortunately. Sorry to just be a pessimist here, but used is the only way I see you getting even close to what you want. That or custom, DIY fun, but even then you're still too low on your expected price.

Nothing worth buying new is going to be in that price range, unfortunately. Sorry to just be a pessimist here, but used is the only way I see you getting even close to what you want. That or custom, DIY fun, but even then you're still too low on your expected price.

Yeah your right. I could go to something like behringer or seismic audio but I just think I would be going backward in quality.

Sent from my iPhone

Your expectations need a big hammer and the Anvil of Reality.

There are several cheaper, plastic speakers that get some love for being "really good for the money" which means they would not leave an impression of "quality" if you'd paid $100 more for them...

Explain to me how lighter speakers will make you more money or save you a significant amount, especially since this is likely a lateral move.

BTW, "Watts" is a measure of the power consumed by the work being done; it is NOT A MEASURE OF OUTPUT LEVEL. IOW, it's irrelevant.

Your expectations need a big hammer and the Anvil of Reality.

There are several cheaper, plastic speakers that get some love for being "really good for the money" which means they would not leave an impression of "quality" if you'd paid $100 more for them...

Explain to me how lighter speakers will make you more money or save you a significant amount, especially since this is likely a lateral move.

BTW, "Watts" is a measure of the power consumed by the work being done; it is NOT A MEASURE OF OUTPUT LEVEL. IOW, it's irrelevant.

I need them light so I can lift them more easily. I have back trouble and don’t want to lift anything that will weigh enough to break my back completely.

Sent from my iPhone

I am not aware of many molded passive speakers. Look for some used EV ZX4s or ZX5s? You would likely find some ZX4s used in your price range, but ZX5s might be a little tougher, but possible. For lightweight and great sounding monitors (33 lb.) you can't beat the JBL SRX 712m, but they are not 15" and likely will cost more than $350 used if you can find them.