New to me loudspeakers

Jan 10, 2011
The city with big shoulders
Picked up some used Sound Physics Labs TD1, the predecessor to the Danley SH46. While not quite the beast the SH46 is, it is still a very good loudspeaker(3db less efficient, phase response not quite as good). First gigs this weekend, back to back on Friday and Saturday. This is The Willis Clan, Irish roots, twelve(yes, twelve)siblings that all play and dance. Branching out into bluegrass and country/pop. On America's Got Talent last year. Originally from the south side of Chicago, now living in NashVegas. Well, a half hour out in the sticks down a dirt road that ends at a creek.

Racks and stacks gig for me-they carry their own SD9, IEM, all mics and pickups are wireless. The older kids help dad(who is their BE), and they know how to patch and get it going.

So, I got to hang out and listen for a change. Took this shot from the balcony, shows off things pretty nicely. There are two TD1s on top of a JTR Orbit Shifter on each corner of the stage. Each TD1 on a channel of a PLX3602, each sub on a channel of a Yorkville A4.4. Protea processor. Typically, the tops could live on something a bit bigger, like 1000-1200watts per. The subs could easily feed off an amp double the size of the Yorkie. It wasn't an issue...

Walked backstage by the racks at stage right during their finale, which was the loudest number of the evening. PLX's are showing mostly solid -10db LED, still occasionally blinking. Subs were just showing their "Signal" LEDs flashing. By no means was this an "Evan" level mix, I was reading 92db-ish average at the mix position 75' back at the last row of the main floor.

Coverage is now nearly perfect. The two tops with a 3-4" gap at the front produces very even horizontal coverage of around 80-85 degrees. They are 60 degrees in the vertical, so 30 degrees up is just fine for hitting the balcony. So, a full range horn approximately 42" wide by 20" high. Directivity is very good even down below 200hz. I loved how quiet the stage was when I was at the racks checking.

Toby(Willis dad) said during set that he brings along a bunch of QSC K series speakers, "just in case". He plugged in to mine, fired up his test tracks, started walking the room with his RTA app going, made it back to me and said "I'm good with these-the response is really even too".

Best regards,

John

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 3
Re: New to me loudspeakers

While not quite the beast the SH46 is, it is still a very good loudspeaker(3db less efficient, phase response not quite as good).

The funny part is that this 10yr speaker is still more advance then whats on the market today. I have a local source that has 6-8 TD1's and I enjoy mixing on them every time; he's set-up with MacroTech 3600's per pair pair of tops with BSS Omnidrives.

Re: New to me loudspeakers

The funny part is that this 10yr speaker is still more advance then whats on the market today. I have a local source that has 6-8 TD1's and I enjoy mixing on them every time; he's set-up with MacroTech 3600's per pair pair of tops with BSS Omnidrives.

I agree totally. There are still well known clubs here in Chicago using them for their house systems too.

Best regards,

John