Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
Converting some large 3-way cabinets from EP8 to NL8. A web search suggests:
1+,1- LF(1)
2+,2- LF(2)
3+,3- MF
4+,4- HF

For a 3-way, is the LF typically wired to the 1+,1- or 2+,2-? For now I've chosen:
1+,1- LF
2+,2- not connected
3+,3- MF
4+,4- HF
which makes for a straightforward split to a pair of NL4's at the amplifier end of the 8 core cable.

(I'm sure this has been covered before but a 5 minute search of the forums didn't turn up anything.)

For anyone who's interested, the EP8 was wired:
1 LF+
2 LF-
3 MF+
4 MF-
5 HF+
6 HF-
7 not connected
8 not connected

Cheers,

Re: NL8 wiring for 3-way?

1+,1- LF(1)
2+,2- LF(2)
3+,3- MF
4+,4- HF

For a 3-way, is the LF typically wired to the 1+,1- or 2+,2-? For now I've chosen:
1+,1- LF
2+,2- not connected
3+,3- MF
4+,4- HF
which makes for a straightforward split to a pair of NL4's at the amplifier end of the 8 core cable.

(I'm sure this has been covered before but a 5 minute search of the forums didn't turn up anything.)

1 LF+
2 LF-
3 MF+
4 MF-
5 HF+
6 HF-
7 not connected
8 not connected

Cheers,
Do you have subs?

If so you might want to have the full range cabinet on 2-3-4 (low mid high) and the subs on 1.

THat way you could jump down to the subs (assuming there is a through connector)

Since we don't know any other details about your system, this is just a guess.

1+,1- LF(1)
2+,2- LF(2)
3+,3- MF
4+,4- HF

1+,1- LF
2+,2- not connected
3+,3- MF
4+,4- HF

1 LF+
2 LF-
3 MF+
4 MF-
5 HF+
6 HF-
7 not connected
8 not connected

Cheers,

Michael,
Just out of curiousity I would check to see if those big 3 way cabs have a more recent version that has NL8's as standard and perhaps use that configuration. I did this with some older KF650e's. When I sold them the new owner didn't have to reconfigure his amp racks or the speakers. Otherwise, I think you're good.

Do you have subs?

If so you might want to have the full range cabinet on 2-3-4 (low mid high) and the subs on 1.

THat way you could jump down to the subs (assuming there is a through connector)

Since we don't know any other details about your system, this is just a guess.

Thanks. Yes, I'm considering that. Most of the time I don't run subs with these, and when I do, I run cardioid and so 1 pair of cores isn't enough. And they don't (yet) have through connectors.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Doesn't change the fact that most manufacturers run H M L on 4 3 2 and save 1 for subs or nothing. I know of none that use 1 2 3 and leave 4 to do nothing. if you have cardioid subs then you need an NL4 to drive them. What is the argument?

Hey Harry, no argument. If you read 2 posts back, you quoted my comment about cardioid whilst confirming Ivan's comment about 2-3-4 for a 3-way, and both can't run through a NL8. I guess you just meant "+1" Ivan, without quoting me.

I agree, 2 3 4 makes sense.

I know of none that use 1 2 3 and leave 4 to do nothing.

The pair 1 2 3 EP8 wiring is Clair R4-III's.

Last edited: