Noise-Cancelling Com headset mic

Is there an inexpensive head-worn mic that does a fair to decent job of rejecting outside noise that can be used (or modded) to work with an intercom beltpack? Our LD wears in-ears and uses an Audio-Technica mic currently for COM, but the mic picks up way too much audio other than his voice.
Obviously a CM-311 would work great, but is there something that perhaps was designed for telephones or cell phones that would work well but doesn't have the big price tag?
Searching for noise-cancelling microphones brings up tons of gamer's headsets, cell phone headsets and so on, and one called "The Boom" which looks great, but is again very expensive.

What have you penny-pinchers found?

Re: Noise-Cancelling Com headset mic

Of you want to really play cheap you can try rolling your own... the basic concept is two mics that are opposite polarity for room noise, while not for voice. You can source cheap mic capsules for a few $.

Other possibilities might be a contact mic on the throat (really old school aircraft). IIRC there may be some trick mics that sit inside the inner ear and listen for voice that leaks into the ear drum from the Eustachian tubes or bone conduction.

JR

I've made a couple weak starts at wiring up an Etycom headset for telex com packs but haven't gotten anything working yet. I must emphasize that I haven't made a good effort yet and the last try (a year ago) was when I was trying to work a couple different custom mod things into one "gizmo". I wired it up to try it and got feedback (& other issues) and so just dropped it in a box for a rainy day. So I haven't done any real troubleshooting work on it. I believe that setting a telex pack to condenser mode and working out some series and parallel resistance will make it go. If so then a simple 3.5mm to 4-pin xlr could be possible. But some of the other mini-headsets use a separate battery powered interface box.

Yeah, the wiring isn't an issue, I've built many com accessories so that's not what I need help with.

The David Clark stuff are headsets, I'm looking for just the mic.

Again, only interested in finding out what noise-cancelling mics people have had success with in a COM application that are less expensive than "The Boom" or a CM-311. If nobody's tried anything, then no problem, I'll do some experimenting.

Yeah, just thinking that perhaps others have tried out the telephone/cell headsets and found one that works well...

I can second the David Clark option, it is very effective, but since your guy wears in ears the CM-311 is probably the ticket. The online demo of The Boom sounds great, but you then have to deal with interfacing to it, and again, you only want the mic part.

I know several stage managers who have bought DPA headset mics, and I can attest that while they sound great in a quiet room, they are terrible once the show starts.

Mac

Yeah, the wiring isn't an issue, I've built many com accessories so that's not what I need help with.

If you're looking for a dynamic mic then yeah, the wiring should be straight forward. But I do think there might be some trickiness to the condenser mic interface which is why I brought my story up. For cheap I would definitely look at the etycom headset for experimentation. It is a dual mic setup and my experience is that it works very well for phone use. If your guy is intent on continuing with his in-ears then I think you have to have a way to mount a new mic to his head.

If you're looking for a dynamic mic then yeah, the wiring should be straight forward. But I do think there might be some trickiness to the condenser mic interface which is why I brought my story up. For cheap I would definitely look at the etycom headset for experimentation. It is a dual mic setup and my experience is that it works very well for phone use. If your guy is intent on continuing with his in-ears then I think you have to have a way to mount a new mic to his head.
Thanks, Drew. I've wired up several different dynamic and electret type mics to beltpacks so no issues there.
The etycom is the right idea, but it has to be a stand-alone head-worn mic.

I know several stage managers who have bought DPA headset mics, and I can attest that while they sound great in a quiet room, they are terrible once the show starts.

Mac
Exactly. I've wired up lots of different mics (usually computer headsets for folks looking for a cheap lightweight option) but none were noise-cancelling type mics.

Thanks, Drew. I've wired up several different dynamic and electret type mics to beltpacks so no issues there.
The etycom is the right idea, but it has to be a stand-alone head-worn mic.
Then I don't think cell phone mics are going to be the solution. They're likely to all be "speak & listen" headsets. One of the primary reasons I was interested in using the Etycom is because it is basically an Etymotic in-ear for the "receiver" and you could theoretically have a custom mold made for it. Way better isolation and sound quality than all the ones that just sit in your pinna. I guess I was thinking that you were interested in finding a good mic first [doing a gaff tape special with a coat hanger initially] and then work out a permanent mounting method later on.

btw, I just checked current pricing for the etycom and see that they're a little more than they used to be. Awhile back you could get them on ebay or Amazon for $40 all day long.

Swerving a bit:
I've been looking for a passive noise reducing (big ear muff) headphones which incorporate a Bluetooth receiver.
Not for anything in my pro life, but to offer a cleaner solution when I'm driving the lawn tractor. I've been wearing my Stihl NR headset with Apple earbuds tucked under them. The buds don't set very well with the muffs over them, and the cable is often getting caught on things while driving. I've dug around a bit online looking for this, but haven't been able to find anything. I just put in a note to David Clark Company hoping they might have a solution.

Thanks in advance,
David

You might take a look at Andrea NC series mics from the dictation world, they are noise cancelling and probably the right price. Google for your nearest source. There are various connection types, USB,3.5mm etc.

Do Heil not have something in amongst their HAM stuff I confess I haven't looked but it strikes me that if anyone is going to do this they might.