Oculus Rift. There some things that have to be experienced to fully understand.

Eric Cagle

Senior
Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
In my life there have been a few things that no matter how they were presented to me had to truly be experienced to understand the magnitude of what people were trying to portray. The example that most comes to mind is the first time I viewed the Grand Canyon in person. All I can say is that if you have not stood at the top of it and looked down and all around, there is no description, or picture, or depiction that can fully describe it. This is the case with my first experience with the total immersion virtual reality world of Oculus Rift.
My son, who is a software developer, had a beta version of this system at his home over the weekend and had me over to "come see the future". Wow. The explanation I would give is that it is a total 3D 360 degree x y and z axis immersion in a virtual world. You are inside the computer generated world with the ability to look 360 degrees in any direction by turning your head, just like in real life. It appears that you can reach out and touch everything.
A word of warning! Calibrate the unit to your eyes before you begin. It is still very likely to give you motion sickness if you are susceptible to it.
It will be interesting to see more as the technology develops.

Re: Oculus Rift. There some things that have to be experienced to fully understand.

In my life there have been a few things that no matter how they were presented to me had to truly be experienced to understand the magnitude of what people were trying to portray. The example that most comes to mind is the first time I viewed the Grand Canyon in person. All I can say is that if you have not stood at the top of it and looked down and all around, there is no description, or picture, or depiction that can fully describe it. This is the case with my first experience with the total immersion virtual reality world of Oculus Rift.
My son, who is a software developer, had a beta version of this system at his home over the weekend and had me over to "come see the future". Wow. The explanation I would give is that it is a total 3D 360 degree x y and z axis immersion in a virtual world. You are inside the computer generated world with the ability to look 360 degrees in any direction by turning your head, just like in real life. It appears that you can reach out and touch everything.
A word of warning! Calibrate the unit to your eyes before you begin. It is still very likely to give you motion sickness if you are susceptible to it.
It will be interesting to see more as the technology develops.

Don't know if he had the first series or second series of the device but I know that since they increased the refresh rate and cut back on motion blur they've significantly lowered the risk of nausea.

Re: Oculus Rift. There some things that have to be experienced to fully understand.

This unit was the DK2 developer kit which I believe is the latest version. It takes a very powerful video card and computer to make it run smoothly or maybe at all. All I can say is that you are there in that world. At this stage it appears the refresh rates and such are at least workable. The lower resolution programs seemed to work flawlessly. It evidently uses a huge amount of processing power. It was only on a couple of the more detailed programs that I could detect any lag at all and I was looking around 180 degrees rapidly at times just to see what it could do. The calibration to your eyes seemed to be a major factor. I slipped the goggles on the first time without calibrating for my eyes and I was seasick in less than 2 minutes. It really is amazing technology.