Old favorite low freq. loudspeakers

Marcel de Graaf

Freshman
Aug 14, 2014
Best All,

In the past i have build many direct radiating low. freq. cabinets and tried out
different woofers in the same cabinet (s).

In my experience i am always picking out the woofer with the paper conus. Loudspeakers
as JBL 2225, Beyma 15LX60, SA 1513, EVX 180 had a big favor for me.

It always had that warm round bass in the low end what i am looking for. It`s difficult to express
that type of sound, but it sounds musical (in hifi terms).

I am thinking that paper conus loudspeakers radiating the sound in a different way than loudspeakers do
with a stif conus (today`s loudpeakers). The outer part of the conus is lagging behind the inner part
of the conus. In mine opinion this type of sound isn`t expressed in terms of a phase and magnitude
measurement.

What is your experience with this?

Re: Old favorite low freq. loudspeakers

Best All,

In the past i have build many direct radiating low. freq. cabinets and tried out
different woofers in the same cabinet (s).

In my experience i am always picking out the woofer with the paper conus. Loudspeakers
as JBL 2225, Beyma 15LX60, SA 1513, EVX 180 had a big favor for me.

It always had that warm round bass in the low end what i am looking for. It`s difficult to express
that type of sound, but it sounds musical (in hifi terms).

I am thinking that paper conus loudspeakers radiating the sound in a different way than loudspeakers do
with a stif conus (today`s loudpeakers). The outer part of the conus is lagging behind the inner part
of the conus. In mine opinion this type of sound isn`t expressed in terms of a phase and magnitude
measurement.

What is your experience with this?

If the cone bends while it's moving that should show up as distortion.
Many people don't immediately recognise it as such as it's happening at such low freqency but it can be reported as adding a kind of warmth - that may be the tone you're liking.
HTH,
David.