Opinions on BOSE 802 Series II (2) PROFESSIONAL LOUDSPEAKER ??!!

Hey Guys.

I'm looking to get some new speakers to hire out for parties and have come across a pair of BOSE 802's on gumtree... I've found mixed reviews on these so if someone could clarify whether they would suit the teenage party environment, it would be much appreciated!

I want to get some decent speakers that will last me a while but don't want to spend much more that $500 (including amp). That's why I'm going second hand.

Cheers, John.

Re: Opinions on BOSE 802 Series II (2) PROFESSIONAL LOUDSPEAKER ??!!

Hi John. Welcome to the forum.

With proper processing, the 802 series sounds OK. The proper processing is the Bose system controller. There are a couple versions of this - an older analog version, and a newer digital version. If the speakers come with this controller, they may be worth considering. Without the controller, they are worthless.

As to comparing them to other speakers, the 802 is very wide dispersion, and not hugely loud. If the rooms you are using them in are not super huge and you're not expecting bone-crushing levels, I think at the right price (with the controller), they aren't a bad deal. If you can get the speakers, the controller, and an amp for $500, I would go for it. If you have $750, I would make a different choice, and instead try to find a pair of used QSC K12, QSC HPR122i or even Mackie SRM450. Self-powered speakers are much more convenient, and the above will sound better and go louder than the Bose.

I borrowed some of these from my church after they became renovation leftovers. They love lower energy music. I don't like them for almost anything remotely close to the teenager party environment. I second TJ - if you can scrape together $750, the QSC and Mackie options are much better for you.

Hi John. Welcome to the forum.

With proper processing, the 802 series sounds OK. The proper processing is the Bose system controller. There are a couple versions of this - an older analog version, and a newer digital version. If the speakers come with this controller, they may be worth considering. Without the controller, they are worthless.

As to comparing them to other speakers, the 802 is very wide dispersion, and not hugely loud. If the rooms you are using them in are not super huge and you're not expecting bone-crushing levels, I think at the right price (with the controller), they aren't a bad deal. If you can get the speakers, the controller, and an amp for $500, I would go for it. If you have $750, I would make a different choice, and instead try to find a pair of used QSC K12, QSC HPR122i or even Mackie SRM450. Self-powered speakers are much more convenient, and the above will sound better and go louder than the Bose.

There doesn't seem to be a lot around with the controllers and I would like as close to bone crushing levels as possible so I'll have a look around for the ones you suggested, thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a lot around with the controllers and I would like as close to bone crushing levels as possible so I'll have a look around for the ones you suggested, thanks!
If you want high volume, the 802s are not for you. No controller means they are worth about $50 each. Yep - time to keep shopping.

Bone crushing levels and $500 do not go together-no matter new or used------------

Is it possible to replicate the controller with some DSP? Pro Tools magic?
With about a $300 DSP and maybe $200 of consulting time you could get someone to setup something like a Behringer DCX2496 to approximate the Bose curve. Now you're at $1000+ to get $500 worth of sound that won't be loud enough for your purposes.

There ain't any more blood in the turnip.

And then on top of everything else they may have damaged drivers in them that need to be replaced. A long time ago I was told that if you are going to buy used speakers you must assume that they have been abused and you may need to replace all of the components in them. I am not saying this is always the case but how do you know? I have never bought a used speaker.

I pretty much strictly buy used speakers. If you run some music in them and don't find any blown drivers or rattles chances are you are good to go. The condition of the cabinet will tell you how they were cared for. It seems you can get a lot more quality for your cash if you buy used wisely.

Hello from Finland

Some 30 years ago I was wanting to have Bose 802:s for unexplained reasons..... I ended testing them side by side with JBL Cabaret 4612 dual-8 + tweeter - after about five seconds it was clear that JBL was my choice...

The best I have heard of Bose 802 was - strangely enough - when used with upright bass in jazz bands.

So they do have their purpose in this universe - but be aware of few things.

They have 8 1-ohm speakers wired in series plus a bypass capacitor over four of them... If you break a speaker, your ONLY source for spare is Bose and you would not wish to buy that much for tiny speaker !!!

The analog processor - I am writing this of memory - has low-cut filter with Q-value providing 6dB boost at cutoff frequency.
Then there is high-frequency smoothly rising curve to get some crispiness.
There is also a 6dB abrut drop around 1kHz - it was maybe done with analog x-over where high band was lowered and then both bands were summed together....

So my advice would be : like others already advised, get something else... anything else, unless they are max 50.- per piece.

Hello from bordeaux south-westh of france
the curve look's like riaa...

If you are talking about BOSE speaker EQ it does NOT look like RIAA (phonograph EQ). RIAA has 20 dB of boost at LF vs 1kHz, and another 20 dB of cut at 20 kHz vs 1kHz, BOSE EQ has boost at both LF and HF wrt 1Khz.

Not even close.

JR

If you are talking about BOSE speaker EQ it does NOT look like RIAA (phonograph EQ). RIAA has 20 dB of boost at LF vs 1kHz, and another 20 dB of cut at 20 kHz vs 1kHz, BOSE EQ has boost at both LF and HF wrt 1Khz.

And I believe also some dynamic eq was in place, so the curve changes with volume...

And I believe also some dynamic eq was in place, so the curve changes with volume...
It has been many years since I saw the inside of the Bose processor. I do not remember enough parts/circuitry to have a dynamic eq.

I was just measuring it and took it apart to see the inside-but did not spend much time in there.

It may have a dynamic eq (or is a different model than I was looking at) I'm just not sure.

Well if you want inner ear bone crushing mids you got it.

throw an 18 under it, some 1inch comp driver and a horn on top, tri amp the whole thing and you could break a few fingers.

Hey Guys.

I'm looking to get some new speakers to hire out for parties and have come across a pair of BOSE 802's on gumtree... I've found mixed reviews on these so if someone could clarify whether they would suit the teenage party environment, it would be much appreciated!

I want to get some decent speakers that will last me a while but don't want to spend much more that $500 (including amp). That's why I'm going second hand.

Cheers, John.

I use four Bose 802II speakers for some of my applications. They are great for choral applications as FOH speakers using the Bose processor. I also use them as monitors for bands (classic rock, etc.). When used as band monitors I almost never have feedback issues and the bands love them.

Bose does make an 800 series III version. IMO the series II sound way better than the series III (the III's sound "tinny").

Bose gets bashed pretty regularly on the forums but used in appropriate applications they are great.

IMO: Bose 802's would not work well for teen/DJ music. Kids today just want their music LOUD.

Maybe you should look for a "used" pair of Yamaha 15's, a single (or double) 18 subwoofer, crossover, and an old Crown Macrotech 2400 amp and have at it.

Mike Monte