Out of pure curiosity...

Re: Out of pure curiosity...

My experience with Chinese knock-offs tells me you'd be better off saving your money for licensed / QC'd / warranteed originals.

Dave

I doubt they are UL approved or have any other type of licensing. We wouldn't be flying them...just occasionally running an iPod through them for a party. I could always sell them on Craigslist if they don't sound good...I would of course list them as "knock-offs."

caveat emptor... are they UL approved?

JR

+1

No amount of initial savings is worth losing a piece of equipment during a show or, even worse, causing harm to yourself, a client, or a spectator.

Spend the extra money for the real UL, QCed piece of equipment.

Oh yeah, probably they have the signs / marks on it. But they are copied also. In Europe you have the CE mark for European Conformity.
But with Chinese stuff, it's short for China Export. If you want to know / find out if a UL mark is honestly placed, you can check it on the UL.com website.

Yup, UL actually certifies that the factory assembles them according to the approved design. UL visits factories in china too if they are real approved products.

JR

No, it's not. I do this for fun...I have a real job.

Hey Brandon,

"Audio Engineers" tend to take themselves way too seriously, you might scare them off by introducing too much reality. And by the way, anything from a Chinese manufacturer is fraudulent somehow, whether they skimp on the components, the wire, fake the ratings or test results or dump their toxic waste in poor communities, there is some fraud in it somewhere. Best not to support an economy based on fraud in my opinion.

http://wundergroundmusic.com/sound-engineering-declared-grumpiest-profession-in-the-world/

Last edited:

Hey Brandon,

"Audio Engineers" tend to take themselves way too seriously, you might scare them off by introducing too much reality. And by the way, anything from a Chinese manufacturer is fraudulent somehow, whether they skimp on the components, the wire, fake the ratings or test results or dump their toxic waste in poor communities, there is some fraud in it somewhere. Best not to support an economy based on fraud in my opinion.

http://wundergroundmusic.com/sound-engineering-declared-grumpiest-profession-in-the-world/

I should have said I have a "Day" job. And yes, some sound engineers are the grumpiest people I've ever known. The older sound engineers that travel with bands tend to be especially grumpy IMO. I may not even buy these speakers. My QUESTION was whether or not anyone here had any experience with these knockoffs? At absolute worst I'm willing to bet that they are better quality than some of the MI stuff that you would find from Musi cian's Friend.

I bought a knock off name brand wireless from China once before. I was under the impression that it was a "made for China" version of the real thing. Wrong!. It looked pretty close but sounded horrible and fed back much quicker in a A/B test with the real thing. After trying to adjust some of the options in the menu I noticed they did not affect the signal. I will never buy a knock off piece of equipment again. Im even done with the LED lighting stuff.

For "cheap" I use Behringer B2xxD cabs. They are reliable, warranted, and sound OK if not as good as higher end stuff (like my beloved RCF 310a's). I've no doubt that they sound better that Chinese fakes of QSC's...