Outdoor speakers

May 12, 2021
Israel
Dear folks: I bought a Yamaha receiver RX-V685 with a pair of Niles OS 7.3 outdoor speakers. The speakers burnt out (may be they have less output power than the receiver???), and the seller is suggesting I "upgrade" to a pair of paradigm stylus 470 (with additional money). Does anybody know what should be the speakers requirements for the Yamaha receiver?

I found in the net that the Niles OS 7.3 has a
Impedance
8 (Ohms)
Power Handling
100 (Watts)
The paradigm specs requires:

SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE
15 - 110 watts
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER
80 watts

The Yamaha receiver has these specs:

Channels
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven)
105 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)
90 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA)
150 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power / Ch (Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 ohms)
125 / 165 / 190 / 235 W

What specs should I request for outdoors speakers´ that should be able to handle the receiver output power?

Many thanks.

How loud do you listen to music? How far away, or how large an area do you want to cover?
Unless it's soft background music only, for a small area - I'd go with speakers with higher sensitivity and higher power handling. If your receiver toasted the Niles speakers - it's most likely going to toast the Paradigm speakers as well - which also won't go loud enough.

Not the answer you want to hear, but it looks like you need a pre-amp output from the receiver to a proper (larger) amplifier, to power better speakers.

The absolute cheapest speakers I've found for outdoor use, that still sound pretty good (you'll still need a subwoofer for real bass), are the Tannoy DVS8. Even they aren't that loud though. My preference is the Martin CDD range, likely the 12" or 15" if you need to cover a larger area or louder music. Make sure you get the weather rated models. They are pro level speakers though, and don't have the low consumer level price point.

Thanks for your response. The area is in a garden a pretty large around 200 sqm open area. I really dont know what should I ask the dealer about the speakers so as not to blow them again, and take advantage of the receiver capacity to be able to hear quality and loud music. Thanks again.
Gabriel

These are the speakers they offered to me (A new pair of Niles or Paradigm 470):
PARADIGN 470NILES OS7.3
CROSSOVERTwo 3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.3 kHz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERTwo 25-mm (1 in) PTD™ domes
MID/BASS FREQUENCY DRIVERDual voice-coil, 190-mm (7-1/2 in) ICP™ cone, die-cast chassis
SENSITIVITY ROOM / ANECHOIC93 dB /90 (dB) For 2.83V pink noise
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 30° OFF-AXIS±2 dB from 75 Hz - 15 kHz65Hz - 21kHz +/-3dB
SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE15 - 110 watts Mono; 15 - 55 watts / channel Stereo Input
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER80 watts Mono; 40 watts / channel Stereo Input
POWER HANDLING100 (Watts)
IMPEDANCECompatible with 4 ohms Mono; 8 ohms / channel Stereo Input8 (Ohms)