Panel mount breakers for portable power distribution

Silas Pradetto

Graduate Student
I'm looking to build some small portable breakout boxes, to take something like an L14-30 and break it into some regular Edison circuits.

Now I know the breakers I'm looking for exist, because people like AmpShop and Motion Labs uses them on RacPacs all the time. These breakers don't require a bus, and hopefully not any rails, to use. They mount from behind a panel with a screw on either side of the breaker opening (like a light switch).

Actually, Motion Labs uses something that must have a rail or other mounting system, because they have a set of screws on each end. AmpShop has exactly what I want, however.

I'm actually going to email AmpShop and ask them what's up, but maybe people here know of some other options?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:
attachment.php

And actually, just writing this post has made me remember that AmpShop has a parts page, with the following listed:

QOU BREAKER 1 POLE QOU2xx SquareD wire in-wire out..(panel, backplane or DIN rail ) 20/30/40/50/60 amp

How convenient! I've emailed them for a quote.

Attachments

• breakers.jpg
    breakers.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: Panel mount breakers for portable power distribution

there are some mini circuit breaker options, but the Square-D QOU are the most cost-effective and better suited for this application. the QOU have lugs for in/out, which accepts a wide range of wire sizes. the QOU can be mounted with individual tabs, as is used in your images, or by use of a DIN rail, which 'gangs' the breakers together from the rear and fastens at the sides (motion labs). the individual method seems overkill, but i've seen alot of the motion labs missing one screw with all of the breakers dangling inside the enclosure.

the QOU should be available locally at almost any electrical supply.

R~

Re: Panel mount breakers for portable power distribution

there are some mini circuit breaker options, but the Square-D QOU are the most cost-effective and better suited for this application. the QOU have lugs for in/out, which accepts a wide range of wire sizes. the QOU can be mounted with individual tabs, as is used in your images, or by use of a DIN rail, which 'gangs' the breakers together from the rear and fastens at the sides (motion labs). the individual method seems overkill, but i've seen alot of the motion labs missing one screw with all of the breakers dangling inside the enclosure.

the QOU should be available locally at almost any electrical supply.

R~

Thank you Royce, that is exactly the information I needed!