Parallel Compression on X32

Andrew Prince

Freshman
Jun 20, 2012
Hi all!

Just wondering.... has anyone tried a bit of 'parallel compression' or 'New York compression' for drums, using the Behringer X32 digital console? If so, care to share your ideal settings?

Parallel compression is not something I've used much in the past, mainly due to the fact that I would have had to buy more outboard, but with a digital console like the X32 I can more than play with new techniques for zero added cost.

Last edited:
Re: Parallel Compression on X32

Hi all!

Just wondering.... has anyone tried a bit of 'parallel compression' or 'New York compression' for drums, using the Behringer X32 digital console? If so, care to share your ideal settings?

Parallel compression is not something I've used much in the past, mainly due to the fact that I would have had to buy more outboard, but with a digital console like the X32 I can more than play with new techniques for zero added cost.

Just set up your drum mix to L/R and set up busses with comp settings and send you drum channels to the busses and blend together. You can only use the onboard comps as inserts will cause comb filtering because of plugin latency.

Hi,

Yeah, I know how to do NY Compression. What I was looking for more were some specific compressor settings and a guide to how much of compressed and uncompressed signals to blend to get a cool sound? :)

Exact settings are tough to do, due to the different ways we all "do our thing", as engineers; leading to quite a bit of "your mileage may vary".

As you know best, use your ears, this is another area where the artist plays in far more than the tech/geek does.

I can add in that this is totally one of my vavorite "tricks". I use it all the time to help vocals sound "in your face", without getting crushed to death. I like to split each vocal seperately, and stick 'em next to each other so that they alternate comp/no comp on the console. If the layout allows, it works great to start the vocals on layer 2, then stick any additional instrumentation in after them in the remaining channels. You can just add a "C" or "Nc" after the name on the strip. If you run wedges, just run the "Nc" channels into them to keep it simpler. You can also feed your vocal FX with the "Nc" channels only to help the fix take on more dynamics and "get out of the way" quicker/better. I find you can also use a careful bit of EQ on problem tones on the "Nc" channels, with careful and not too crazy EQ carving on those harsh bits. You just have to remember to treat these channels as a "sum", and not get too radical with the tone stuff or you'll shoot yourself in the foot. A different bit of high pass works well also, much higher for the "C" channels, and a little lower frq for the "Nc". Sometimes you need that little bit of comp on the "Nc" channel for cats who have a hard time with too loud and too soft - not fitting in the mix. Yes, it eats channels, but it's SO worth it...

Hi,

Yeah, I know how to do NY Compression. What I was looking for more were some specific compressor settings and a guide to how much of compressed and uncompressed signals to blend to get a cool sound? :)

Last edited:

My first post as a new subscriber (but long time reader).
We have run the first two shows in our small venue with the brand new X32. And I was wondering myself how to apply some drum slamming (NY parallel compression) live.

My two cents is that I'm not yet able to identify which onboard effect could get close to emulate the 1176 squashed sound (ratio all, high input, output to taste, low attack, high release and so on). I could not find any setting so far. But to be honest I haven't had much time to play with the effects plugins, since the board setup and the shows took precedence. I would hope that a new x32 firmware release could give in the future a straightforward pick of the 1176 emulation.

On the other hand the small venue I run the shows in, would not be the best testbed since the live drum would slam itself directly due to the limited distance between stage and audience.

I believe I'll try the Waves plugin on Wavesrack and see if it can cope with latency (not optimistic though).

Different story for vocals for which I haven't made up my mind yet if to go for parallel aural exciter or just tune eq/compression of the vocal strip.

I totally agree on the eqing tips from Declan.
all the best

I would hope that a new x32 firmware release could give in the future a straightforward pick of the 1176 emulation.

This has already be confirmend for V2.0.

My two cents is that I'm not yet able to identify which onboard effect could get close to emulate the 1176 squashed sound
What makes the 1176 so special is, that even with very fast attack times, the transients of the original signal will not be completly squashed, when hitting them hard with the 1176. The SSL Bus Compressor is quite similar in this behavior, but has a different kind of sound. I you have trouble to mimic this special sound with the X32 desk compressor, you basically have three options.

1. Use the XFU card and a VST host (dosen't have to be Waves Multirack, LiveProfessor is cheaper and imho better). Hook up the system like this-->
X32 Live! Webinar: X32 with Waves Multirack - YouTube
Route your Drums to the L/R Mains AND a subgroup. Dail in your favourite 1176, SSL Buscompressor into a drum subgroup and blend it to your taste with the unprocessed signals. Be aware, that ALL drum channels have to go to your VST host to preserve phase coherency.
2. Run your compressor plugins like this-->
http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-307.html#post57282

3. Build a SSL Bus Compressor on your own, and use it as instert on your X32 drum subgroup! I will try that in a couple of days with my X32 and I will report, if it works:) Using the Aux in/outs as analog inserts adds 0.8ms latency...so I might have to dail in a channel delay of 0.8ms to the drum channels. Didn't think any futher about that by now, but some weeks ago, I used one SSL hardware Clone at a gig and it really rocked. It is the unit on top-->

DSC_0149.jpg

Here is how to build one on your own-->
SSL Clone construction page
This is the same unit, that I used during the gig.

I know, everybody have its own way to use compressors, but this is what works for me:

1. Don't send cymbals into the 1176, just the drums. Overheads and cymbals do not sound so good in a live enviroment with parallel compression. In addition you will pump up the overspill from other intruments on stage. In a studio this is a different thing.
2. If you don't want to spent serious money on an expensive 1176 plugin, try the "Camel Crusher"!-->
CamelCrusher - Free VST/Audio Unit/RTAS Plugin - Distortion, Compressor, Filter
Set it up like this:
"Filter" section: OFF!
"Phat Mode": OFF!
Tube Distortion: OFF!
Mech Distortion: 1 or 2%!
Compressor amount and Master section: Like on the picture on the camelaudio page
Thank me later;-)

Happy tweaking
Christian

Dear Guys,

Great discussion on NY style drum compression. We are expecting new plugins with the release of Firmware 2.0 later this year, but I can’t say for sure exactly what will be included. As always, your requests are heard by our developers. In the meantime, you can “smash” drums pretty effectively with the Dynamics section included on every mix bus. Go with a very fast attack and release with a high ratio, try 6:1 or 10:1. Look for gain reduction levels of at least 10 dB, probably touching -20dB, and make sure to add Make Up Gain to hit properly. Typically this "squashed Drum Bus" is mixed or "tucked" in with the "regular drums" going to the Mix Bus. The Wave Designer plugin inserted on kick/snare/toms can also really help bring out the attack on the drums.

As Christian indicated the Waves MultiRack has many great choices and inserts at low latency. I really like the Chirs Lord Alge 1176 for this application.

For more extreme drum mangling, (on recorded tracks still in the DAW), I sometimes like to use the Decapitator by SoundToys on a stereo bus.
Recently I also tried the Audio Damage Kombinat on drums which can really make them sound a bit "vintage", (Black Keys..ish). It is a cool mult-band distortion plug in.

I hope it helps.

Last edited: