Pass through SRC's

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Does any one make an reasonably priced pass through Sample Rate converter box?

Something that can accept say 4 AES/SPDIF signals + wordclock and push the same AES signals out but in sync? Multichannel would be nice but single channel would be ok.

My potential applications is with a 01V96 where I've already got the MY16-AE card and would rather not drop down input wise to the MY8-AES.

Thanks,

Philip

Re: Pass through SRC's

You could buy two DSP or converter eval boards and tie them together, they normally have DIO breakouts. They also normally have AES/SPDIF connectors. Probably cost about 70-199$ a piece.

P.S. There are some other options. I have used Bittware PCI-X cards in the past. They are quite cheap on eBay. I think I paid 10$ a piece for 6 of them. Their T2PC cards have 4 four tigersharc DSPs on them. There are plenty of other brands available also. Not sure about others; I just happen to have all the Analog Devices tools and Bittware development kit so that's what I use.

On eBay there are lots of PMC site and PCI differential RS-485 style Async cards. One could use these to construct an AES to AES sample rate converter for very low prices. I used a PMC card plugged into my Bittware cards to do conversion and processing for 32 channels of AES.

The electronics knowledge required is not that deep to do this. A little research on the internet would turn up required termination resistor values and algorithms required for the conversion.

Mark DeArman

Last edited:

Something that can accept say 4 AES/SPDIF signals + wordclock and push the same AES signals out but in sync? Multichannel would be nice but single channel would be ok.

The only box I know of that can do this is a Dolby Lake Processor. It can take asynchronous AES inputs and clock them all out at a common rate - even a completely different rate to the input. The THD and noise specs on the SRC's, even running asynchronously, are stunning. But.... it still costs more than $3000 (at least on eBay).

Can you elaborate more on the setup? Maybe there's a way to sync everything up without the need for asynchronous SRC's?

The only box I know of that can do this is a Dolby Lake Processor. It can take asynchronous AES inputs and clock them all out at a common rate - even a completely different rate to the input. The THD and noise specs on the SRC's, even running asynchronously, are stunning. But.... it still costs more than $3000 (at least on eBay).

Can you elaborate more on the setup? Maybe there's a way to sync everything up without the need for asynchronous SRC's?
I was hoping to dispense with the need to run sync to all the gear.

In this particular application I'm using an 01V96 as a glorified audio router in a video control room. The gear that really matters has either Genlock or Wordclock input and I've got a system master clock that outputs both in sync. It's just that some of the gear is a ways away (100m range) but I suppose it's just as easy to use 3 coax as 2. (send, receive, sync)

There are a couple devices however that don't have sync in that it would be nice to run digital but it's all short distances so balanced analog works.

Thanks