Peavey Impulse 12D

Chris Gruber

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Rodgers-town, Wisco
http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio/loudspeakers/impulse/

This little guy has some pretty cool features and seems like it may make a good addition to the rental inventory. Peavey generally makes some pretty solid products. Has decent I/O options and a feature which I think is pretty slick. "With the switch in the “signal” position (in the middle), the front logo LED is blue when power is applied to the
powered speaker electronics, and flashes red when the amplifiers are clipping."

Thoughts?

Attachments

• imp12drear.jpg
    imp12drear.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • imp12dfront.jpg
    imp12dfront.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
Re: Peavey Impulse 12D

Thoughts?

The styling reminds me of the original Eon and the ugly RCF boxes, which is a big FAIL in my opinion. Obviously I haven't seen it in person or heard it and my opinion doesn't really matter, but there are a few other enclosure designs I'd rather stick my logo on.

Attachments

• JBL-EON15P-1.jpg
    JBL-EON15P-1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1278-300x900-rcf_300a.jpg
    1278-300x900-rcf_300a.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

There are a pair of these at the shop I do a lot of stuff through. If I get a chance I'll take a listen. Up close they have sort of a cheap look to them, but then again, they ARE cheap, so you get what you pay for.

You can keep your blue LED... the red clip seems useful, while DJs may use that as an ON LED.

I would be curious about the HF driver.. Is that the custom one that Jon Risch designed for their arrays or some standard driver. It looks like the horn is "not" using Charlie's quadratic design, but that may be because of the type of HF driver used.

I didn't see any mention in the FAB of whether the ports use Jon R's asymmetrical loading for free cooling.

The IPR amps should be light weight, always a good thing in a powered box.

I am less enthusiastic about using onboard processing for loudness contours, but hopefully they are doing some smart driver protection work. My #1 reason for putting processing inside a powered box, after the crossover and corrective EQ.

Of course the bottom line is how do they sound... I though the later plastic boxes from PV didn't suck, hopefully this will be a step up. Or why bother?

JR

PS: I wouldn't read too much into the cosmetics.. there is only so much you can do with that aspect ratio with that much of the baffle board consumed by drivers and ports, and horn.

PS: I wouldn't read too much into the cosmetics.. there is only so much you can do with that aspect ratio with that much of the baffle board consumed by drivers and ports, and horn.

I guess my point was that I prefer the designs that cover it all up under a grill (and maybe some foam). QSC, JBL, EV, Turbosound, Yamaha, and many others seem to be doing this more and more, while Peavey has chosen to accentuate it with contrasting colors and shapes in a design that I think is reminiscent of some older products. I don't mean to knock the product, as I haven't heard it or seen it in person, just for corporate and private events I prefer that my speakers have their bits hidden away.

I know many in the install world feel the same way, and I wonder if a locking power connector or a rotatable horn under a grill would have helped with that market more than the phoenix connectors.

I wonder how they sound and if they are doing any of the DSP tricks that seem to be more and more popular these days?

I suspect the front treatment is a cost issue. Obviously more parts cost and more assembly labor.

My guess is the DSP is the same as built into the IPR amp platform so heavy on the bass efx and light on smart processing, but I have been off the island for a long time, so have no special inside information (or influence).

If it has universal power supply that IPR platform is close to a standard building block I wanted for powered mixers, too.

JR

Last edited:

I'm guessing cost and weight both play into the fact that there is no grille on the front. Every pound you can shave off is a plus these days.

That being said, the look of these boxes would be enough to keep me away. They are downright hideous. The look of a speaker system comes pretty high on the list as far as priorities in the jobs I do. Invisible would be the best, which these definitely are not.

Ribbon driver, field replaceable components, distinctive styling, 39lbs... should be a winner in the cheap plastic box market. Ribbon probably sounds good, which is rare for HF in that market. Can it take a beating? Everyone seems to be saying it's $800.

Ribbon probably sounds good, which is rare for HF in that market. Can it take a beating?

I expect it'll sound decent on axis with the ribbon. But I suspect that just like the Versarray cabs and their "Rock Preset", they'll have had to raise the crossover point significantly to make it capable of handling the abuse its target market will likely subject it to. In this case, I would expect that off-axis response in the midrange will suffer.