PK Sound

Re: PK Sound

Every time I see a Tim Duffin appearance I am immediately reminded of his first post on the old LAB, Dave Stevens era.
"Why do Macro-Tech suck?"

He set an all time low first impression mark, and has astonishingly managed to go down hill from there.

Yes, an all time low. Due to my rigid rejection of fanboys and valueless keyboard jockies (like yourself) on the LAB, my professional career has taken off more than I ever dreamed it would.

Please continue with your canned insults and have a nice day. I would insult you back, but I would rather just post this embarrassing picture of your "large system":
gayest system ever.jpg

And follow it up with your self titled "brown bag" system..? Is it so titled because your clients leave bags of brown...ah...stuff, on your doorstep after they see it?
2nd gayest system ever.jpg

But please, keep the insults flowing. Nothing like a guy who drives a Hyundai making fun of the guy who drives a Lexus.

Oh this is getting good!

Popcorn-cinema-001.jpg

Yes, an all time low. Due to my rigid rejection of fanboys and valueless keyboard jockies (like yourself) on the LAB, my professional career has taken off more than I ever dreamed it would.

Please continue with your canned insults and have a nice day. I would insult you back, but I would rather just post this embarrassing picture of your "large system":
View attachment 6498

And follow it up with your self titled "brown bag" system..? Is it so titled because your clients leave bags of brown...ah...stuff, on your doorstep after they see it?
View attachment 6501

But please, keep the insults flowing. Nothing like a guy who drives a Hyundai making fun of the guy who drives a Lexus.

The top picture may not be as "pretty" as an all in one box but it certainly is no uglier to look at than many dance systems I've seen in clubs.
And the component parts are proven performers.

The bottom system may look strange but I'll bet it is just fine FOR ITS INTENDED USE and goes up and down in a quick and efficient manner.

Tim: My point

Your head

Too funny. You are making my point for me, and you don't even know it.
It's not about the gear. It's about how all you can do is insult people, and piss people off.
If you have the greatest gear in the world, not being able to get along with anyone is not going to serve you.

Loren,

Efficiency aside, the TC LMS 5400 18" at 33.66mm Xmax, 47.6 Xlim (95.2 mm peak to peak, that's 6.2 mm more than the JBL 2269H, Tim) has more than double the linear excursion than the BC 18SW115, so it's low frequency output potential is 6+ dB more than the 18SW115.

You do need far more power using the LMS 5400, but fewer subs to match the LF output capability of the BC 18SW115.

There is a trade off, probably around 50 Hz and above where the LMS 5400 would not handle enough power to keep up with the 18SW115's sensitivity.

You can't have everything in from one cone design, for most PA use the 18SW115 rules, but for musical genres that require the most output below 40 Hz, the the LMS 5400 wins.

Art,

Absolutely. If you want VLF output (I'm speaking of bass reflex cabinets) then displacement rules. I haven't modeled the TC sounds so I don't know at what frequency it would begin to outrun the SW115 due to displacement, but I am sure your guess of 40 hz or so is probably close. So I wasn't disagreeing with you at all on that point.

Loren

I've been following this thread for a bit and I wanted to chime in.

This past weekend we were so graciously invited by the folks at PK Sound to demo their rig that is currently out on the Excision tour. (Special thanks to Rory! This was on the Washington D.C. stop)

I'll comment (unbiased, I promise) on the rig in a second, but first and foremost I want to say that the people at PK Sound are first class. Welcoming, fun, helpful, HONEST, not pretentious, and even grateful that we were interested in what they have going on. I felt like they are the type of company that is going places in this industry and even though they are a young company, I wouldn't have any problem buying into the company what-so-ever. These feelings were solidified in the entire process of dealing with PK from our initial e-mails, to going to the stop on the tour to check out the rig, until even after the show keeping in contact with their people. I can't say enough positive things about the experience we had.

Thank you very much Nick, I shared all of your comments with everyone in the company. I'm incredibly proud of our team here at PK and Rory who you met is one of our aspiring superstars! One thing many do not know is that PK is completely owner-operated and I mean completely. From myself, to our admin, to the R&D team, to the guys working the CNC in the back of the shop everyone at PK is an owner and it will always continue that way. We pick the best people and we share with them our success, it's a core aspect of our business culture. In addition our sales team are not commission because we believe in long term partnerships with our customers not high pressure sales tactics & marketing.

We know where we're at, we know we're a small fish in a sea of big sharks, but small fish are quick and sometimes see things the big sharks don't and we're working our balls off to make our gear better every day =]

....anyway now that my sales pitch is done, ill go back to work =]

Last edited:

Loren,

Efficiency aside, the TC LMS 5400 18" at 33.66mm Xmax, 47.6 Xlim (95.2 mm peak to peak, that's 6.2 mm more than the JBL 2269H, Tim) has more than double the linear excursion than the BC 18SW115, so it's low frequency output potential is 6+ dB more than the 18SW115.

You do need far more power using the LMS 5400, but fewer subs to match the LF output capability of the BC 18SW115.

There is a trade off, probably around 50 Hz and above where the LMS 5400 would not handle enough power to keep up with the 18SW115's sensitivity.

You can't have everything in from one cone design, for most PA use the 18SW115 rules, but for musical genres that require the most output below 40 Hz, the the LMS 5400 wins.

So, I am assuming that you have actually heard this TC sounds woofer in a real cabinet at a real show? I never have seen one in use. It would be interesting to hear how it sounds with sustained low frequency output. Most designs which simply take an existing design and throw more money at it suffer from degraded performance in other ways than the spec sheet would indicate.

So, I am assuming that you have actually heard this TC sounds woofer in a real cabinet at a real show? I never have seen one in use. It would be interesting to hear how it sounds with sustained low frequency output. Most designs which simply take an existing design and throw more money at it suffer from degraded performance in other ways than the spec sheet would indicate.
I have not heard the TC sounds LMS 5400, but Josh Ricci has done extensive testing of it and many other LF drivers (results at his DataBass website), including the best of the B&C LF drivers.
I have heard the BC 18SW115-4 (I own a pair) and the BC 21SW115, and Josh's measurements indicate the LMS 5400 is a LF winner in the deep LF.
Using a program like Hornresp it is easy to compare driver's output potential, if the T.S. parameters are correct.
Pretty much all the major manufacturers give good T.S. parameters, it is easy to see where the current "state of the art" is with comparisons.
Josh Ricci’s TC sounds LMS 5400 18" (single driver) Gjallerhorn at 2 meter, ground plane, outdoors measures:
10hz 90.2db
12.5hz 105.2db
16hz 118.3db
20hz 122db
25hz 124.9db
31.5hz 125.8db
40hz 128.4db
50hz 127.2db
63hz 130.2db
80hz 130.9db
100hz 131.1db
125hz 123.6db
Add 6 dB to those figures for a one meter equivalancy.
Those are real measured results with fairly low distortion, not theoretical numbers on paper calculated at astronomical peak values with no regard to excursion capability, the norm for spec sheets.

Art

Thank you very much Nick, I shared all of your comments with everyone in the company. I'm incredibly proud of our team here at PK and Rory who you met is one of our aspiring superstars! One thing many do not know is that PK is completely owner-operated and I mean completely. From myself, to our admin, to the R&D team, to the guys working the CNC in the back of the shop everyone at PK is an owner and it will always continue that way. We pick the best people and we share with them our success, it's a core aspect of our business culture. In addition our sales team are not commission because we believe in long term partnerships with our customers not high pressure sales tactics & marketing.

We know where we're at, we know we're a small fish in a sea of big sharks, but small fish are quick and sometimes see things the big sharks don't and we're working our balls off to make our gear better every day =]

....anyway now that my sales pitch is done, ill go back to work =]

Where did this comment come from?

Where did this comment come from?

Mark,

This was in response to my comment on page three, but I think at that point the topic was moving away from PK Sound and more into driver discusions. My comment was:

"I've been following this thread for a bit and I wanted to chime in.

This past weekend we were so graciously invited by the folks at PK Sound to demo their rig that is currently out on the Excision tour. (Special thanks to Rory! This was on the Washington D.C. stop)

I'll comment (unbiased, I promise) on the rig in a second, but first and foremost I want to say that the people at PK Sound are first class. Welcoming, fun, helpful, HONEST, not pretentious, and even grateful that we were interested in what they have going on. I felt like they are the type of company that is going places in this industry and even though they are a young company, I wouldn't have any problem buying into the company what-so-ever. These feelings were solidified in the entire process of dealing with PK from our initial e-mails, to going to the stop on the tour to check out the rig, until even after the show keeping in contact with their people. I can't say enough positive things about the experience we had.

Now, the cabinets... I will say that the top boxes (we heard both the full-size and small format array's) left some to be desired. I felt, as others have commented, there was a lack of mid-range capability. It's also clear that the folks at PK are aware that there are some improvements to be made and I believe they genuinely want to make those changes. I also firmly believe they will. I was very impressed with the subs. They hit hard, they went low. We ran sweeps through them and it was impressive. It's no secret they were designed with pre-recorded content in mind (specifically EDM) but we played a variety of tracks from many different genres and I think the subs handled it well. They let us hear in groups of four, up to the full compliment of 20 cabs, and I was impressed at both groupings. Truthfully, PK is a company to watch."