Played around with a old trick

Played around with allpass filters again and the result was ok i think.
Sorry for the Pink stuff..........
enjoy

https://timobeckmangeluid.wordpress....12/cool-stuff/
Timo,

The completely unprocessed response of my most recent design, the SynTripP has phase near as flat as your allpass filtered response.
When processed with the usual 24 dB per octave filters, the SynTripP and sub has the expected phase "wrap" of around 1080 degrees, but after 40 years of going between headphones with flat phase, and 3 and 4 way systems with as much as 1440 degrees of phase shift, I can't tell the difference from a phase aspect.

I bought a BSS BLU 100 specifically to use the FIR filters, but after listening to Merlijn van Veen's recording in which he manipulated the phase from flat to several thousand degrees of shift, I realized I am incapable of hearing the difference, even in an A/B test using flat phase headphones.

Someday I might play around with FIR filters, but I don't expect my hearing will change, so it will be a purely academic pursuit.

Art

Attachments

• SynTripP No Processing.png
    SynTripP No Processing.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Timo's Processed.png
    Timo's Processed.png
    293.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Timo Beckman
When processed with the usual 24 dB per octave filters, the SynTripP and sub has the expected phase "wrap" of around 1080 degrees, but after 40 years of going between headphones with flat phase, and 3 and 4 way systems with as much as 1440 degrees of phase shift, I can't tell the difference from a phase aspect.
Art

If you look at the new piece of work i posted today you see all the allpass filters on the high and low driver do not change frequency respons. At the x-over frequency they match so there's no reduced level.
It's an ok alignment but all the phase stuff done is not really audible for the human ear.
That being said i do tend to notice if a system is phase flat or not every now and then but that's a underscored "every now and then".

If i work or mix on a phase flat system i do notice a longer period before listening fatigue kicks in.
I happen to own a set-up of 2 x RM25ac from Fulcrum Acoustics and on those a lot of tracks i suspected to have problems in the mix (things i do not like) are clear straight away..... And the tracks i really like sound awesome (some tracks i didn't like suddenly sound pretty good but are subject to musical taste so not my music but well mixed).
Most modern track lack dynamics (long live the loudness war).
RM25ac strt.png.jpg