Podium Mic Popping

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
Hello,
I am looking to replace a 18" Audio Technica mic we have installed to a podium. The unit is broken at this point from being wrangled with for years but am looking to solve a popping issue with this new mic. I had a lot of splosive P action on the last mic. Had a note taped on the podium to please not lean into the mic and ran a low cut filter on the channel but still had some issues. A lot of the speakers are very amateur and lack any mic skills. I am thinking either a shorter mic so they cannot get right on it or the old school gooseneck and a 58 or whatever is going to be the solution. Aesthetics are not crucial so a 58 will not be a big deal but maybe a tighter pattern than a 58. Can supply 48v. Opinions below please.

Re: Podium Mic Popping

If you don't have feedback issues then a mic with a tighter pattern isn't a good idea. People go off mic all the time at lecterns and a tighter pattern would only exacerbate the problem.
I would consider a 12-inch mic instead. In my experience folks tend to not lean into a 12-inch mic as much as an 18-inch mic.
My preference for lectern mics is the Shure Microflex line. I prefer the sound of these mics over the Audio Technica mics.
When you choose your mic use a pop screen on the mic and a low-cut on the EQ to tame the popping.

Thanks I will take a look into the Shure microflex stuff. We had the pop screen and low cut but still could not get the results to be acceptable. Feedback is not an issue so I think we should be able to get enough gain out of the 12" model.

If everyone is getting too far up on the mics, clip a lav 4" behind the element and use the original as a placebo.

If everyone is getting too far up on the mics, clip a lav 4" behind the element and use the original as a placebo.

Or my personal favorite, if you're already using Shure MX mics, get an MX202 choir mic, which is the same element as the podium and lav mics, but comes on a little 4" flexible part and trails off to a thin wire. a bit of tape and it can be made to look like it is part of the original mic. also comes with a preamp so you won't be taking up a wireless pack.

But yes, if you have a spare lav in your kit that's always a great place to put it. every now and then someone will grab it and clip it on and walk with it though, so be careful if you tape it down :)

Jason

What you need is an X32.
Hmmm, actually that's not a too bad suggestion...

The x32 have the wave designer (a compressor/expander on stereoids) that can minimize the attack of a sound - Including 'plosives.

For the OP current setup this would mean that he could insert his favourite compressor (possibly eq-sidechained) with a fast attack/release to reduce 'plosives.

Otherwise, a decent omni should work best in situations like this since the mic technique is lacking severely(?).

We use the Microflex 18" and 12". They are fantastic. The cardioid capsule (with stock pop filter) is less susceptible to plosives than most other podium mics I've used. We bought omni and cardioid caps for ours as they are interchangeable. Your problem will likely disappear using an omni mic.

I've had really good experiences over the years with the Audio Technica ES915ML12 microphone on lecterns. Really good off-axis rejection for bigger shows, and far less popping then anything else I have ever used on a lectern. I'm not sure if they are available for sale here in the US, unless you go through an installation dealer for AT, But they do seem to be available on the open market in the UK. The 12" model works really well, and keeps anyone from leaning in too far.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ES915ML12/dp/B007P5EVQ2

I have worked with one politician over the years consistently, who having served a recent term as speaker of the house, has the most absurd mic technique I've ever seen at a lectern. Holding the element with your finger tips and putting your mouth right on the windscreen, while practically screaming into the mic, results in nightmarish results every single time. The only problem with DC, is you never know when a politician is gonna pop up at a gig and want to say something, so there is very little one can do to prepare for such carnage. I did get to see what the clip / limit lights look like on our Sound Devices MM-1 on one such gig, which was educational I suppose.

Thank you to the forumites who know the difference between a lectern and a podium, and care enough to use the terms correctly. (I'll yield the soapbox/podium to folks who have on-topic responses to the OP.) Mark C.

AT has an optional two layer mesh windscreen with a foam windscreen over it that works very. Actually it's almost needed as standard equipment for their podium mics, at least the older ones like I have. My current go to podium mic is the Countryman Isomax. I still put up a AKG 535, when possible I'll use the 535 with a Neutrik gooseneck where the mic plugs directly on the end of the gooseneck. Even though it's larger it still makes a decent looking podium set up.

AT has an optional two layer mesh windscreen with a foam windscreen over it that works very. Actually it's almost needed as standard equipment for their podium mics, at least the older ones like I have. My current go to podium mic is the Countryman Isomax. I still put up a AKG 535, when possible I'll use the 535 with a Neutrik gooseneck where the mic plugs directly on the end of the gooseneck. Even though it's larger it still makes a decent looking podium set up.

I'm a big fan of the 535, but typically can't get away with anything that big on a lectern around here... the movie guys would be throwing a fit, talking about "blocking the shot".

Do you get that awful (CREEEEEKKKK) sound with that setup if someone adjusts the mic, or is the Neutrik gooseneck immune to that problem? My only experience with those types of goosenecks are in fast food type establishments... typically the older shure ptt gooseneck mics, which on all accounts were absolutely horrible, and very very noisy when adjusted.

Would you like fries with that lectern sir?

I'm a big fan of the 535, but typically can't get away with anything that big on a lectern around here... the movie guys would be throwing a fit, talking about "blocking the shot".

Do you get that awful (CREEEEEKKKK) sound with that setup if someone adjusts the mic, or is the Neutrik gooseneck immune to that problem? My only experience with those types of goosenecks are in fast food type establishments... typically the older shure ptt gooseneck mics, which on all accounts were absolutely horrible, and very very noisy when adjusted.

Would you like fries with that lectern sir?

It's a quite gooseneck, no haunted house creeky door sounds!
GNS18 - Neutrik