POLL: Avid

POLL: Avid

• SC48 with Stage48

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • S3L System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I know I'm a Jerk But I Think You Should Wait For Some Other Magical Console

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: POLL: Avid

Avid, Maker of Pro Tools, Now Losing Money Faster and Delisted from NASDAQ - Create Digital Music

Restructuring efforts at Avid maker Pro Tools seem to have accelerated losses, not slowed them.
Financial site The Street reports today on the state of the company’s stock. Most troubling, yesterday Avid received a letter from NASDAQ delisting the company from the stock exchange. As of today, trading of AVID was halted on NASDAQ. (This doesn’t mean you can’t still trade AVID stock; you have to do it via the Over-the-Counter market.)
The really significant issues here are cash flow and earnings – and losing NASDAQ trading will only exacerbate the problem. TheStreet Ratings Team cites issues in this quarter versus same quarter last year including:
Accelerated losses: -$7.55 million to -$17.39 million (year over year)
Negative cash flow: -$1.38 million “net operating cash flow,” a stunning year-over-year 1167.44% drop.
Why Avid (AVID) Is Falling Today [Shawn Ingram, The Street]
They also cite stock under-performance. But with accelerated losses combining with a negative cash flow, it seems AVID in its current state has limited options for a turnaround.
There will certainly be implications for Pro Tools, Sibelius, and other Avid products. These are about more than just the technical quality of the products themselves. Maintaining a successful relationship with customers is dependent on running a successful business, and being able to make the investments in support and development that requires. Earnings represent in part the health of that relationship and the growth of the customer base. This is sometimes easier said than done, which is why many, many music product makers are not publicly-traded companies. But, to state the obvious, Avid can only be successful offering the products it makes if it has a successful business behind them.
Pro Tools, the product, is in many ways healthy. Plug-in makers have successfully supported the AAX plug-in format, the product is still widely used, winning Grammy awards for its users and technical awards for itself.
And the music products industry itself continues to grow; one thing The Street observes is that the loss in earnings at Avid is out of pace with the rest of the electronic products business, and the same could be said in regards to some of Avid’s direct rivals in music.
For that reason, I would expect Pro Tools to have a future, perhaps as an acquisition. But some sort of business change seems coming at Avid the company. For loyal Pro Tools users, that change might be welcome sooner than later.

• [*=left]

Thanks everyone for the responses and updates. Keep them coming, they are very helpful.

I decided to wait until after the March trade shows to make my decision. Though I am currently leaning towards another PRO2 unless I find a used SC48 on good shape for a good price.

Jason

Hi Jason-

If you need to make BEs happy *now*, then buy another SC48. I haven't seen an S3L in the wild yet nor have I touched one at a trade show and don't have a user-based opinion. I'm not sure, though, how the S3L is going to work out for one-offs as the darn thing is so compact (including the i/o) that almost any act with a trailer behind a van can have room for it (although we're currently seeing X32/S16 in those situations).

We offer Profile/MixRack and SC48 along with other digital mixers. The Venue series desks are the most requested and I expect that to remain so for at least a couple more years. The issues will be changes to the software as we get >v4 and the changing plugin infrastructure.

The Digital Crystal Ball doesn't do too good receiving predictions from Daly City, but I'd be very surprised if Avid didn't have another console or 2 up their sleeve.

Saw the S3L in the wild for my first time last night. I was surprised by how much less toy-like ut seemed at a show compared to how it felt at the demo I attended. I'm liking more as I go, in other words, including the stageboxes.

Saw the S3L in the wild for my first time last night. I was surprised by how much less toy-like ut seemed at a show compared to how it felt at the demo I attended. I'm liking more as I go, in other words, including the stageboxes.

I tested one last night as well. Granted, it was just for five minutes, but I didn't like it. The UI is among the worst ones I've ever experienced.
But I'm with you on the stage boxes, they are by far the best feature of that system.

I tested one last night as well. Granted, it was just for five minutes, but I didn't like it. The UI is among the worst ones I've ever experienced.
But I'm with you on the stage boxes, they are by far the best feature of that system.

Just curious about the stage boxes. Only seen pictures. What's to like about them? They seem, well, as the should. Straightforward and stageboxy.

Jason