[Poll] Which array types matter for your business?

[Poll] Which array types matter for your business?

• What arrays? All my gigs are speakers on sticks!

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I'm interested in fixed angle boxes with wide horizontal coverage (e.g. JBL VRX)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I'm interested in fixed angle boxes with narrow horizontal coverage (e.g. L-Acoustics ARCS)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I'm interested in adjustable angle vertical arrays.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I'm interested in adjustable angle horizontal arrays.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I'd like a box that can do both array styles (e.g. Turbosound Flex)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I'm tired of blasting sound into the sky. I want an asymmetric array to keep sound on my audience.

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phil Graham

Honorary PhD
Mar 10, 2011
Atlanta, GA
At FOH Magazine we (i.e. me) are about to start a multi-issue series on real world system teching for vertical array systems. I realize that this may not be as of much interest to working sound companies at the JV level, so I've created the following poll in an attempt to get a handle on what kinds of speaker arrays matter for smaller houses in 2014 as a guide for future article topics.

For the following poll options, I'd ask respondents to ignore the real world differences in cost, size, weight, etc. Rather what kind of speaker arrays, if any, are more relevant to your present business success?

Re: [Poll] Which array types matter for your business?

I picked 3. Adjustable vertical, adjustable horizontal, and asymmetric. I will hold my predictions for later in the thread. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Not claiming to be part of your primary target, Phil, but I'd love to have a decent inventory representation of most of those choices - all of the tools have applications and practical considerations that make for a better customer satisfaction based on the customer's needs. Very much liking the right tool for a given job. :)

I was looking for the "point source" box, but it was missing.

Glenn,

At the risk of pedantry, due to a mathematical simplification called the "far field approximation" all loudspeaker arrays are treated as essentially weighted point sources when analyzing their response at the audience locations computationally. This approximation has been well understood in optics and acoustics for more than 100 years. Meyer Sound published a couple of AES papers validating the far field approximation against physical measurements from their anechoic chamber.

In practice all arrays, vertical, horizontal, and otherwise differ by three main parameters:
  1. What is the lowest frequency where intra-box elements have a high degree of directivity?
  2. What is the size of the radiating area of the array for a given frequency?
  3. What is the distribution of output, volume, and relative arrival times across the radiating area for a given frequency?

There's no point in distinguishing for a "point source" as that presumes a differentiator that does not exist in the physical treatment of real systems. If you want to work with a box such as EV x-array or Nexo Alpha, then pick the option for boxes that can be used in both planes.

Last edited:

Touchy - I was just throwing it in there for fun. Besides, Danley is getting really close.

I'll take a pair of J2-96 Jericho horns and raise you another another pair. They are arrayable.

Last edited: