Powered speaker on a stick for 2020 and beyond

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
Been clearing out a bunch of my JBL 600 series speakers lately. Looking to replace with a 12" powered speaker that is good for going out to ipod weddings and some speaking engagements. Prefer wood construction but would love to offer something with XLR, 1/8" input and maybe bluetooth? Something that has covers easily available. Prefer factory covers.
Have some JBL 700 series including subs so can those matched if I need. Could just stick with JBL but just looking on opinions if there is a winner out there that can check my boxes. Will start putting some things on my watch list.

I would have a long, hard look at the Meyer X40.
You're looking at 15-20 years of sound from that if you treat it nicely and do some basic maintenance, so you're off the upgrade-wagon for a long time.
Fulcrum has a couple of options as well at the same performance level.

OTOH if you just want something "loudspeakerish" for renting out to customers that don't care about quality, they just want it cheap?
Fint the cheapest box that makes audible noise and treat it as a disposable item. Presonus has a cheap 12"/horn thing that's useable and can be financed in about 10 rentals. Make it last for 20 and you're earning money.

Last I checked, the self-powered Fulcrum boxes were discontinued, so that's probably not a good option for boxes in that class.

For the sort of typical speaker-on-stick work Ben's looking at, there are plenty of options in the market, with the QSC K series being reasonably popular (although pretty much everything in that price range with built-in amplification and modern DSP that I've used has been completely adequate).

Personally, I would be looking at boxes with smaller woofers - I've found them to give as good or better results than the larger boxes, while being easier to work with and less visually obtrusive, and the output and LF differences aren't huge. And you can always add a small sub for more LF output (and this is often a cleaner setup, as using a sub as a base instead of a tripod stand gives a smaller footprint).

I've been happy with the Electro-Voice 2 way, 12" powered speakers that I have. When I need more low end, I use them over 18" powered subs. Their line runs from inexpensive up to however much you want to spend.

What's nice about smaller speakers is that I can scale the setup for whatever I might need. From a pair of 12' speakers on tripods, up to larger setups with multiple tops and subs. AND, they're fairly light in weight, so I can pole mount them by myself.

Worth a look. They might fit your needs.

No body mentioned Turbosound Siena tsp112-AN, wood, great DSP, sounds great and better price than all your above mentioned so far. Covers can be bought from manufacture or open market, I own 8 and 12 iq18b subs. love them.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I'm surprised no one suggested the QSC K series. I had eight (two were stolen - still have 6) K12's in my rental stock since the first year they were available. I had one failure from a faulty wired electrical outlet that QSC not only repaired under warranty but returned to me next day air at their expense! I also have had to replace a single HF diaphragm. Rental customers have no respect for the gear, but year after year these loudspeakers keep performing and surviving customer abuse. Maybe not the very best sounding loudspeaker, but they don't sound bad and are very versatile for main, monitor, stand alone use or with subs added. I have nothing but good things to say about QSC reliability and service. I also have two K8's and KW181's in rental inventory from that period. K10's (now K10.2) could also work well. As stated "Not Meyer prices". I've had good luck with RCF products, but bang for the buck, return on investment, and reliability puts QSC in first place for "blind" rental gear.

Hi Philip, nice to see you on the forum, we are just minutes away from each other. I'm in Neptune NJ. i do rentals 732-766-0481
Thanks again folks I will check all those models.
Joel. Whats the EV models you are running? I have some of the EV ELX that seem decent.
I'm a long time FBT user, had several Maxx4a cabs (all made in Italy) for very long time and switched to Promaxx 14a about 10 years ago for more power. I believe the current model is Promaxx 114a, looks a bit different, but same components inside. All B&C drivers, good amps, simple to use, sound decent. Taken a lot of beating, but still go strong. Check them out.