Powered speakers and subwoofers

A while back, in the old PSW forums I had posted some charts I did on powered speakers.

From my research at the time I chose to buy QSC K12s and KW181 subs.

There is a thread on powered subs over there now but the new forum doesn't let me post a PDF file which is the only reasonable format to get out of Excel.

Since there are current threads on powered speakers here and at PSW and powered subs on PSW I thought I would post my current charts. So...

Powered Speakers

View attachment Speakers 2010.pdf

Powered Subs (lightweight)

View attachment Subs 2010.pdf

Re: Powered speakers and subwoofers

How are your KW subs performing for you Rob? Have you ever tried a side by side comparison with the KW subs and Growlers?

How are your KW subs performing for you Rob? Have you ever tried a side by side comparison with the KW subs and Growlers?

I haven't directly AB'ed Growlers and KW, but much prefer UCS1P's to KW's. Tighter, as deep (except with deep mode engaged), and louder. The KW's in deep mode really aren't bad, until you start to push them and they fall apart sonically.

Good chart. You should be able to convert your pdf to a jpg and post that, right?

For a price point the Mackie SA1521z should make your comparison. I have a set that I purchased to do small acoustic shows and have ended up making them a stand alone PA for cover bands that can't afford the higher end stuff in the shop. They don't thump any means but all they get is a -4.5dB cut at 7kH with a 2.3 Q (Smaart Confirmed). They work great for those rooms when the compensation doesn't warrant dragging in Subs. They're Mackie, but as long as you are in control of the speakers (limiting) then you should get years out of them. I've had mine for 4 years or so and use them a dozen times a year.

I have not compared the KWs with the Growlers. I use them in very different situations. Setting up the Growlers locally with the amp rack and distro is a bit much though I intend to set things up outside once mud season is over. I use the pair of KWs with my "B" rig and I am very happy with them. The Growlers go out with the "A" rig and are sometimes supplemented with additional units from a pal up north.

My chart doesn't have any Mackies in it for a couple of reasons...
1) I don't like them. I had a couple of very bad experiances with their customer service - 6 months for a part for one and total failure to repair a problem on another. They don't get any more of my money.

2) the SA521z is bigger and heavier than I was looking for at over 100lbs and it is discontinued.

Sounds like you finally found the subs you were hunting Rob. Glad to hear.
I set up the Yorkville LS700p in the driveway today with a pair of Community RSjr tops for a bit of tuning and dialing in before the gigs this weekend and thought about you and the search for a 2nd yorkie sub way back when. I did get to hear an in-store demo of the KW boxes a few weeks ago. My rep stopped in with the sub, the 3-way top and the 12. I'm really tempted to get the sub but I've still always wanted a pair of Growlers. Anyone have a set of used ones that you've heard from lately?

I notice the JBL PRX 618S-XLF is missing from your list. Specs seem very close to the KW181. I wonder how they compare in real life.

I notice the JBL PRX 618S-XLF is missing from your list. Specs seem very close to the KW181. I wonder how they compare in real life.
Don't know.... When I made the list the PRX618S-XLF was not out yet.

Rain, I sold my LS700P (turns out to be an ES700P though) and the guy is kinda lookin for another one if the price is right. He is looking for all sorts of things at the right price though :)