Powersoft K3, K20, M50Q (Part II)

Re: Powersoft Digam K3, K20, M50Q (Part 2e)

I would compare that Powersoft K20 to the PKN 3PHASE-20K , I think that the PKN has much more average power capability, at
least 2-3 times higher ;-)
PKN Controls

The true three phase 400VAC operation should be better as power source (less limitations)

I would compare that Powersoft K20 to the PKN 3PHASE-20K , I think that the PKN has much more average power capability, at
least 2-3 times higher ;-)
PKN Controls

The true three phase 400VAC operation should be better as power source (less limitations)

Has anyone actually USED a PKN amplifier? Maybe PKN would like to prove their quality with a "Test Drive"?

Jeff

Has anyone actually USED a PKN amplifier? Maybe PKN would like to prove their quality with a "Test Drive"?

Clearly our friends in Macedonia have. The problem here is getting 400VAC power into them, unless you have a dedicated genset or serious building power it's not something you're likely to find next to the usual cams.

It can be powered with 120/208v 3 phase or 240v split (single) phase. IIRC, PKN mentions that the amp requires more for full rated spec.

Would be fun to check one out, though. Any idea of potential USA pricing?

Clearly our friends in Macedonia have. The problem here is getting 400VAC power into them, unless you have a dedicated genset or serious building power it's not something you're likely to find next to the usual cams.

400VAC isn't at all common in the US. If we need more power than 120/208Y gets us, we typically jump to 480/277Y or 480 Delta. Canada jumps even higher to 600/347Y and 600 Delta.

And I've seen 480V in the event world, typically achieved via step-up and step-down transformers, to allow for longer cable runs.

In Central Europe we have 380/400V everywhere, it is the Delta Voltage between the three phases.
I think the PKN XE6000 is OK in power for most of the average jobs, I have never let its limiter above 142Vp for example even with our largest sub-woofers and still had great headroom.
What is different from the Powersoft is that the PKN has symmetrical output and higher sample rate, so there are 4 amps for 2 output, here is clearly visible bellow:
XE_inside1_full.jpg
However the Powersoft K series can do more peak power on 2Ohms but we do not operating so low impedance.

If things work out, I'll have a XE6000 for a testrun in a couple of weeks. I'll put it up against a PLM14000 just to give it a challenge.
From my experience, the XE6000 is stronger than Martin MA4.2 which is AFAIK a rebranded fp6400.
On the other side no way to max out the 18SW115 8Ohm in a vented design similar to the B&C recommendation

Uwe

The XE6000 is way more stronger. As I remember the XE or XD4000 is similar to FP6400 power however the PKNs has
better pulse response for example the human speech (vocals) are more clear above -6dB level than LabGruppen ;)
at least on our speaker sets. I meant the "understandability factor" of loud speech.