Powersoft NL4 set up is not optimal.

Jack Arnott

Senior
Jan 29, 2011
I got me some new Powersoft four channel amps.
What is really cool is that there is internal DSP, and I can do wonderful things for biamp set ups.
What seems really stupid to me, are the outputs. In order to do the biamp, instead of plugging an NL4 into one of the NL4s,
I have to make an adapter with two NL2s, Y-ed into one NL4 Female.
Then plug my NL4 into that.
Or I could plug two NL2s into the amp, and run one for lows, and one for highs, into the speaker cabinet.
Seems lame to me. And I felt angry after talking to Powersoft support.

Thanks for reading, that is all.

Regards, Jack

Re: Powersoft NL4 set up is not optimal.

[...]What[...]s really stupid [...] are the outputs.

Agreed...

Think it has something to do with the fact that the two channels (or each pair of channels in the quad amps) are run inverted polarity for power supply efficiency... Still, I think it would be easier to just make a wacky bridge NL4 wiring adapter for when bridging instead of just using 2+ and 2-, seeing as that's out of the ordinary anyway...

Other than that, great bang for buck amps...

Although the 312W max RMS limiter is somewhat confusing for an amp rated at 1500W too...

I got me some new Powersoft four channel amps.
What is really cool is that there is internal DSP, and I can do wonderful things for biamp set ups.
What seems really stupid to me, are the outputs. In order to do the biamp, instead of plugging an NL4 into one of the NL4s,
I have to make an adapter with two NL2s, Y-ed into one NL4 Female.
Then plug my NL4 into that.
Or I could plug two NL2s into the amp, and run one for lows, and one for highs, into the speaker cabinet.
Seems lame to me. And I felt angry after talking to Powersoft support.

Thanks for reading, that is all.

Regards, Jack

The “bigger” powersofts can deliver a huge amount of output current (up to 125 amps).
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/products/touring-amplifiers/k-series/k20.html
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/products/touring-amplifiers/k-series/k6.html
That’s way more than a single terminal in an NL4 should be asked to cope with, accordingly both the positive (1&2) and negative(1&2) terminals are connected in parallel . Iassume (edit) They kept it the same throughout their range for obvious reasons.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/fc-series/nl4fc (30 amps - I squared r ... 1800 watts @ 2ohms)
Peter

Last edited:

]they kept it the same throughout their range for obvious
reasons.

But these are not set up that way.
When I run full range signal through both inputs.
And have the NL4 going to two separate speakers, one on pins one, and one on pins two.
When I send signal to one of the inputs, it goes to one speaker. When I send signal to the other input, it goes to both speakers.

So, both the "legacy" argument (this is not a "bigger" powersoft, and is designed for different applications. To my mind. Why keep a design from one amp to another that does not apply?)
and the reasoning fall flat. The two NL4s are not discreet from each other. I can not use both pins one and two. Or I get cross talk from the other channel.

Jack

The “bigger” powersofts can deliver a huge amount of output current (up to 125 amps).
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/products/touring-amplifiers/k-series/k20.html
K6
That’s way more than a single terminal in an NL4 should be asked to cope with, accordingly both the positive (1&2) and negative(1&2) terminals are connected in parallel . They kept it the same throughout their range for obvious
reasons.
NL4FC - Neutrik (30 amps - I squared r ... 1800 watts @ 2ohms)
Peter

And what are these mythical Powersofts?
That exist only in quotation marks.

You go to all the trouble of using bold and colors, so now, all that is left for added amphasis is improper use of quotation marks?
(Pun originally unintentional, but left upon further review. Please read the rest with proper sarcasm alerts, rib pokes, and emticonny thingies.)

Jack

That’s way more than a single terminal in an NL4 should be asked to cope with, accordingly both the positive (1&2) and negative(1&2) terminals are connected in parallel . They kept it the same throughout their range for obvious
reasons.

But they didn't keep them the same (for obvious reasons).

Read Steve's reply. For bridge mode, you use pins 2 +/-. Only.
Otherwise you use 1+/-. Only

But these are not set up that way.
When I run full range signal through both inputs.
And have the NL4 going to two separate speakers, one on pins one, and one on pins two.
When I send signal to one of the inputs, it goes to one speaker. When I send signal to the other input, it goes to both speakers.

Jack

In that case, I think you will find with some of the Powersofts they wired the outputs so that pins 2 (+/-) in the same connector can be used for bridge mode operation. ... what you are finding is associated with that connection. (as noted by Steve)

If you use bridge mode all the time I suspect you may like that option, if you run bi-amped wedges you may not. :?~:-?~:???:

Last edited:

If you use bridge mode all the time I suspect you may like that option, if you run bi-amped wedges you may not.

If I wanted the power from bridge mode, I would have bought an amp with two channels, and more power.
That is my whole beef. A cute four channel amp should be set up easier to use its capabilities.

I bought an amp for motion of the ocean, and they are still proud of the size of the ship.

I tend to agree Jack...

It seems like someone thought "how can we make this better?" but then omitted to ask anyone else if they thought it was a good idea too...

If they had have asked you or me (and I'm guessing a lot of others)? well...

Jack, (or anyone) and yes this is slightly off-topic, what are your thoughts on the 312W max in the RMS limiter?

Last edited:

I tend to agree Jack...

It seems like someone thought "how can we make this better?" but then omitted to ask anyone else if they thought it was a good idea too...

If they had have asked you or me (and I'm guessing a lot of others)? well...

Jack, (or anyone) and yes this is slightly off-topic, what are your thoughts on the 312W max in the RMS limiter?

Here is what I use the amp for. Three channels for monitors, one channel to push two 1.4" BMS drivers, crossed at 400hz.
For what I am doing, community events, and one trade show, not rock and roll, it is perfect so far. I had lots of signal lights on the vocal monitors over the weekend, but didn't even light up a signal light on the mains channel.

I'm sure I will have more thoughts as I learn more about the amp, and use it more.