Presonus Digital Mixer Questions

Re: Presonus Digital Mixer Questions

I was under the impression that, all else equal, higher RF frequencies had higher attenuation in air (kind of like sound).

I found a chart that shows this (look at the second one). Atmospheric absorption could easily be 4 times as bad for 5GHz vs 2.4GHz.

The 802.11 spec is quite interesting. It seems that recently 802.11a was expanded to include 3.7GHz with a rather ridiculous range. Maybe Presonus should recommend that one, even though I've never seen a device that uses 3.7GHz 802.11a!

Of course, even at 5Ghz, the atmospheric attenuation of ~.3db/km in a tropical downpour, is inconsequential relative to the other factors (such as obstructions, antenna gain, cable losses, etc.)

I'm pretty sure that the only reason the 5ghz is recommended is because there arent as many other things using that frequency.

I stand corrected. Yes, you can run up to 10 Ipads, each at a monitor location if you like. They can be assigned to only operate each individual monitor if you desire, for obvious reasons. There are also Ipad mic stand mounts available.

We have a Studio Live at one of the venues I work at. We have been succesfully using IPads, Iphones, etc on a VPN network to drive "Studio One," the program that came with the console. There is also an app for mac devices I believe. You can also run Logic, PTs 9, and other recording software to multitrack with, as well as insert any plugin imagineable to bypass the horendous onboard EQ and dynamics.

I find that using the "Capture" program for tracking and Studio One Artist, that comes with the console, for mixing down the best, most efficient way to a good "live recording".

Check here for examples. The tracks on that page are done in Capture only. Some with S1 Artist will follow as soon as I get back home from working out of town for my day job.

Last edited: