Presonus RM32AI Mic Pres

Michael John

Junior
Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
Does anyone have any measurements or other info on how the RM32AI mic pre's perform & sound, and how they compare to the M32 or X32 pres?

I'm interested in how the RM32AI and X32 Rack could work as a Dante stage boxes. With Dante cards, they're a fraction of the cost of Yamaha RIO and Focusrite Rednet.

Cheers,

Re: Presonus RM32AI Mic Pres

I've only used their legacy models and firestudio pro but I would not expect the RM preamps to sound bad compared to the x32. The m32 is a somewhat different story if you push the midas preamps.

My only concern would be the control and monitoring of the RM's since you'd need to rely on ipad/computer for control. On the x32rack you can at least operate it directly on the front and see its metering bridge and you can adress issues on the spot. I assume that the cs18 is out of the question?

Thanks. Yep, I'm willing to control head amps using another PC if I have to.

I currently run 45m (150') of analog snake + ethernet for Lake and Dante (Yamaha's with MY16AUD cards to Dante capable amps). I'd really like to get rid of the analog snake and for ~A$3k the RM32AI looks like a reasonable way to get there. I'd prefer better mic pres than the X32 - hence the question above. :)

I could replace the consoles but that's a lot more money plus maybe extra ethernet cables for protocols like AES50 etc..

I've only used their legacy models and firestudio pro but I would not expect the RM preamps to sound bad compared to the x32. The m32 is a somewhat different story if you push the midas preamps.

My only concern would be the control and monitoring of the RM's since you'd need to rely on ipad/computer for control. On the x32rack you can at least operate it directly on the front and see its metering bridge and you can adress issues on the spot. I assume that the cs18 is out of the question?

Never have heard a bad word spoken about MIDAS pre's (ie the M32). I have also only had experience with the legacy SL (non AI) version of the Presonus preamps. I didn't care for those, but the RM32AI may have improved on that design.

Never have heard a bad word spoken about MIDAS pre's (ie the M32). I have also only had experience with the legacy SL (non AI) version of the Presonus preamps. I didn't care for those, but the RM32AI may have improved on that design.
As I understand it the preamps are the same from many years ago, but the converters have been upgraded with their new models.

The preamps are class-a built on 'real' components that are not smd's and ic's. This design is used in many of their studio devices.

Are you actually talking about the preamps or the FAT processing? The FAT processing seems to have been improved in the AI and RM (due to more available dsp power?).

I really like my RM32AI. Preamps, I don't know. Everyone talked about the pre's this, the pre's that. What about the rest of the signal chain. Anyway, Presonus is also releasing a control surface I believe at the end of the month, the CS18AI for $2,000 street. Motorized faders, meter bridge, scribble strips, cat5 snake, and it will control up to 64 channels (2 Ram32AI's).

I have an RM32AI so I'll be picking up a CS18AI as soon as it's released.

http://youtu.be/u4VDNkLLs9Y

As I understand it the preamps are the same from many years ago, but the converters have been upgraded with their new models.

The preamps are class-a built on 'real' components that are not smd's and ic's. This design is used in many of their studio devices.

Are you actually talking about the preamps or the FAT processing? The FAT processing seems to have been improved in the AI and RM (due to more available dsp power?).

Good point. The "sound" of the non AI may or may not have been due to the design of the preamps.

I will say this. The SL (NON AI) reacted horribly to having the gain stage pushed. Get even a slight tickle into the red and you would swear you had blown your speakers with a lightning strike ;) Put another way, they weren't very forgiving. Run them pretty cool and you don't have this problem.

The truth of the matter is that preamps today are pretty good across the board. IC's exist that are quite good at giving you an exact signal copy of the input on the output, just at a higher level.

There ARE preamps that are non-linear in a ear-pleasing way. These preamps tend to be praised since they are easier to get good sound out of.

The MIDAS preamps in specific are frequently referred to as "warm". They also appear to have some compression built in as you get close to the limit lights. People tend to push them and get a nice sound from doing it.

Good point. The "sound" of the non AI may or may not have been due to the design of the preamps.

I will say this. The SL (NON AI) reacted horribly to having the gain stage pushed. Get even a slight tickle into the red and you would swear you had blown your speakers with a lightning strike ;) Put another way, they weren't very forgiving. Run them pretty cool and you don't have this problem.

The truth of the matter is that preamps today are pretty good across the board. IC's exist that are quite good at giving you an exact signal copy of the input on the output, just at a higher level.

There ARE preamps that are non-linear in a ear-pleasing way. These preamps tend to be praised since they are easier to get good sound out of.

The MIDAS preamps in specific are frequently referred to as "warm". They also appear to have some compression built in as you get close to the limit lights. People tend to push them and get a nice sound from doing it.

The Cult of Midas® notwithstanding, running anything digital to the point of red lights is foolish and unnecessary.

The Midas warmth is distortion. I prefer to not let my occasional desire for such things to dictate my mix's gain structure and therefore get my distortion kicks above the waistline, sunshine*. ;)

* borrowed from "One Night in Bangkok"

The Cult of Midas® notwithstanding, running anything digital to the point of red lights is foolish and unnecessary.

The Midas warmth is distortion. I prefer to not let my occasional desire for such things to dictate my mix's gain structure and therefore get my distortion kicks above the waistline, sunshine*. ;)

* borrowed from "One Night in Bangkok"
I got it before you confessed to your plagurism ;) I was in the service in Hong Kong when the song was first released. It was a dance floor packer back then.

I agree with your other statements though. Running a digital system into the red is simply going to be bad ju ju in most cases.

I got it before you confessed to your plagurism ;) I was in the service in Hong Kong when the song was first released. It was a dance floor packer back then.

I agree with your other statements though. Running a digital system into the red is simply going to be bad ju ju in most cases.
I did a walk in yesterday and the groups old SL had all kinds of gain staging issues that I assume had accumulated over time. Some channels were jacked up and did not sound good. Next show I will take a pic of the FOH graphic for some real interesting discussion.

I haven't posted this in at least a month or two... Mic preamps are mature and sound more alike than different. Mics are many times more different than preamps.

JR

A friend recently suggested the Mackie DL32R with Dante card. Anyone have experience with this?

Does anyone have any measurements or other info on how the RM32AI mic pre's perform & sound, and how they compare to the M32 or X32 pres?

I'm interested in how the RM32AI and X32 Rack could work as a Dante stage boxes. With Dante cards, they're a fraction of the cost of Yamaha RIO and Focusrite Rednet.

Cheers,

Hi Michael,

I'm using a DL32R for my summer concert series in a soft-seat theater. It has been working fine and I'm not hearing any issues with the mic pres.
Don't have the Dante card so can't comment on that.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

A friend recently suggested the Mackie DL32R with Dante card. Anyone have experience with this?