Presonus StudioLive RM Mixer Discussion

Declan Slater

Sophomore
Aug 20, 2011
I hope to start a discussion on the RM series, that possibly might avoid getting bogged down in a 96K vs. 48K rabbit trail, quite like this one...

https://soundforums.net/threads/108...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNG8npj2TYwT7kF-FkDZ_xVoyf9Sdg

It seems like this product has quite a bit of potential, comes in a 16 channel and 32 channel version, with a good price point. Has anyone picked up one of these units yet? Here's a link to a 75 minute long, super hyped up video, that covers details on what is current and planned for future.

http://www.presonus.com/videos/play...eries-rackmount-mixers-in-depth-overview-w-QA

Re: Presonus StudioLive RM Mixer Discussion

We have an install next month with a 32ch version. It hits a price point, as long as it is reliable it should work fine for this project. It's a great 'tweener' option for projects like this. A DSP with basic wireless surface control is too light, as they need 3 output mixes and more than just fader/mute. However, they don't want a full surface, tech booth, sound tech, etc. With the permissions we can lock things down, one tablet for FOH and one for monitoring.

Ease of use is better than X32 rack. Its main points are GUI and low cost.

It should be a great fit. Presonus doesn't make junk. I like the concept and the look and feel of the interface. Ever since seeing SAC and Raven interfaces I know this was the new wave of live control.

It should be a great fit. Presonus doesn't make junk. I like the concept and the look and feel of the interface. Ever since seeing SAC and Raven interfaces I know this was the new wave of live control.

I've been mixing remotely via iPad for the past 3 years with my Legacy SL 24.4.2 Right now that means there's a snake, mixer, MBP, router and iPad. (Give or take with the snake depending on the gig) I'm planning on buying an RM32AI in the new year (spent enough money for this year) if I'm not recording the gig, I'll just put the box on top of my power amps, plug in the router and I'm good to go with the iPad.

The price is right. I don't know of I'd bother with a tablet PC or not...

I've been mixing remotely via iPad for the past 3 years with my Legacy SL 24.4.2 Right now that means there's a snake, mixer, MBP, router and iPad. (Give or take with the snake depending on the gig) I'm planning on buying an RM32AI in the new year (spent enough money for this year) if I'm not recording the gig, I'll just put the box on top of my power amps, plug in the router and I'm good to go with the iPad.

The price is right. I don't know of I'd bother with a tablet PC or not...

I also have this same setup with the legacy 24.4.2 > MacBookPro > router > iPad and would like to hear from people who have the newer ai series that they say does not need the laptop. The rack thing looks pretty interesting too although I would be worried about glitches and not being able to control things because there are no knobs. This rack thing is the latest wizbang and several companies are doing it. Can those people chime in too with opinions on those products when they materialize. Some of these things are still vaporware right now.

Hey Guy's it's nice to see this thread. I'm a Presonus Guy. I have a 24 4 2 the older one not the AI. I have a PC with it and the Ipad runs wireless. I mix like that now and then but I really like the board out front and Fadders and knobs. I am kinda old I guess but mixing on the Ipad is not my thing.
I wanted to share something about Presonus that most people don't realize or don't talk about. The first job I did with my board about 3 1/2 years ago I spilled a Coke on the 1st 6 fadders. I cleaned it but over time I started having problems with 2 4 6 they would show signal but nothing was coming out. So I would patch around them if I could. Last month I contacted Presonus about this by Email and they said send it in. I sent it to them and they have a $200. flat rate for that board plus the freight to get it there. They replaced all the fadders and some gain pots cleaned the board and it is like brand new. The turn around was about 2 weeks total.
I hear so much bad stuff about what Presonus does not have, moving fadders and scribble strips. I have looked at some of the other boards in there price range and was leaning toward Allen and Heath, but I never got this kind of service from Allen and Heath. My point is that next year I think I will buy the new 32 channel AI board. One more thing Presonus did that really impressed me was a few years back, I updated my board and got the small edition of Smaart for nothing. It didn't cost anything. The Presonus company has impressed me and I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks

Well I picked up my RM32AI last week. Did a show over the weekend. It went great! What a joy not having to run the snake, and drag the SL24.4.2 into the corner along with my laptop and router. 3 bands and the show went great. Put it in an extra case I had. Took a little bit to get used to the new interface, but it worked out well. I'll be diving in deeper this weekend (no gigs) and really start learning the system

6576E8B4-DC9D-4593-B15D-68E533396E65.jpg

It sat on top of my power amps. No dropouts or anything! I bought a 6 space shock mount case for the mixer, I think I'll also put my 2 Line6 XD-V75's in the case as well. That will leave room for the router.

4FE12E30-9FC9-4A95-9A75-7EA05C164BBA.jpg