Presonus Studiolive Users - Reliability?

Chuck Simon

Junior
Jan 19, 2011
After a few months of using the SL, I am pretty happy with the performance, convenience, and features of the board. I am concerned about reliability. Help me out with a little informal poll here. For the purpose of this pole, a major failure would be a failure of the board that left it inoperable and you either lost the gig or had to come up with a back up. A minor failure means you were able to recover with some sort of adjustment or reboot, etc.

1. How long have you been using a Personus Studio Live?
2. How many major failures have you had?
3. How many minor failures have you had?
4. No failures.
Please keep to the theme of the post. If you want to rip on Personus or talk about other brands, please save it for another thread.

Thanks

Re: Personus Studiolive Users - Reliability?

After a few months of using the SL, I am pretty happy with the performance, convenience, and features of the board. I am concerned about reliability. Help me out with a little informal poll here. For the purpose of this pole, a major failure would be a failure of the board that left it inoperable and you either lost the gig or had to come up with a back up. A minor failure means you were able to recover with some sort of adjustment or reboot, etc.

4. No failures.
Please keep to the theme of the post. If you want to rip on Personus or talk about other brands, please save it for another thread.

Thanks

17 months. No catastrophic issues.
Lost my effects and scene during an upgrade.
Got them back and it's all good.

I use it 3-5 times a month on average. Everything from a duo, to country, to Rock, to punk, to metal, to death metal to Reggae. It's never gone down on me. iPad, Mac mini, multitrack recording, remote mixing, individual monitor mixes etc etc.

Buy a good case.

I would definitely buy another one. In fact, I bought a 16.0.2 for smaller gigs.

I have been using my Studio Live 16.4.2 since the fall of 2009 ... one of the early ones.

18 months after I got it, I had a major failure 15 minutes before the gig. Crack, then pop, then nothing. Mr. Mackie to the rescue.

I sent it back and Presonus quickly repaired it under warranty. :)~:)~:smile:

This past spring, I had to send it in again. There is an issue with crosstalk on channels 9-16 due to the routing and close proximity of traces on the preamp board. This can occur when the input signal (such as a click track) has a strong spike around 10khz. No fix is possible since it is a design issue on the board. The work-around is to use an Aux In channel if needed.

My X32 should be on the next boat to the continent. :thumbup:

15 months, 0 issues. 6-8 gigs/month, stored outside in a trailer when not in use.

I feel most issues (other than Bob above) are caused by improper set up.
My tips: Get a good case like others have suggested, get some silca bags for your case, use a UPS and set up your network correctly. Those items will eliminate 99% of potential issues.

I also carry a small Mackie for back-up.

21 months on a 24.4.2. No failures. 3-4 gigs per month on average. I also use a UPS. I don't carry a back-up, although I know this is tempting fate. When I first got it, I was worried about the faders, but no problems so far.

I know someone with a 16.4.2 that required factory service. I think the board stopped passing sound after a firmware update but I don't know the specific details.

I'm thinking about picking up a 16.0.2 for smaller shows, home recording, and a backup mixer in a pinch.

I have a retail music store. I have sold 12 units in the last year and 9 of them have come back for several different reasons. The most common reason was a resistor on the PSU would burn up and the desk would not power up. Solution was to replace the PSU or resistor which I now keep one on hand all the time. The other reasons were dead screens, and dead channels.

I stopped selling them because I don't have the time to service this junk anymore. Also keep in mind that Presonus is to big for they're britches these days. They created a product that they know almost nothing about and can not support at all. Dont waste your time or money. Buy a X32 if your looking that price range.

Another great gig tonight. LoL got asked to tour.

Again.

I'm like I'd love to, but I have a day job man. :) mixer performed flawlessly.

Again.

If those were early mixers, it sounds like they ironed it out. Tomorrow is a gig with my band. It will be another great night, no question.

Again.

I had a SL 16.4.2 that I used about a dozen times. On several occasions, the board had glitches, resulting in an entire muting of the console for several seconds. I did find out that if you use the FireWire interface, and that interface for whatever reason gets disrupted, the board will mute. ie, if your computer crashes, or the cable gets unplugged, or the computer goes to sleep, bam, board mute.

However, I did have one instance where the board muted multiple times without being plugged into the computer. It was suggested that faulty power was to blame for this. I didn't see any significant voltage swings during the event, surely nothing that I would have thought could be the cause. My feeling is that if a board MUST be connected to a UPS to function, it's a poor design.

I sold the board to a church, and they've been pretty happy with it. However, they have run into a few instances where the board needed to be power cycled because of weird things happening.

I've since bought a 16.0.2 for my smaller jobs, and haven't had a single problem with that one yet.

"I did find out that if you use the FireWire interface, and that interface for whatever reason gets disrupted, the board will mute. ie, if your computer crashes, or the cable gets unplugged, or the computer goes to sleep, bam, board mute."

My experience has been different than that. I was controlling my 16.4.2 with my iPad when my latop crashed. There was a slight pause, maybe a second and than sound went on as normal. Of course I lost my iPad control but continued to mix manually on the board without interuption. Since then I changed to a PCMCIA firewire card with a T.I. chipset and it's funtioning fine, so far.

My experience has been different than that. I was controlling my 16.4.2 with my iPad when my latop crashed. There was a slight pause, maybe a second and than sound went on as normal. Of course I lost my iPad control but continued to mix manually on the board without interuption. Since then I changed to a PCMCIA firewire card with a T.I. chipset and it's funtioning fine, so far.

Yes, that is exactly what happens. It doesn't mute and stay muted, but if the interface has an issue, you get complete dropout for a couple seconds. To me, that is a MAJOR issue. The technical reason is because the clocks of the two devices are syncing, but if the board was designed correctly, it should be able to continue to pass audio seamlessly in the event of a failure of the remote control device.

Re: Presonus Studiolive Users - Reliability?

I didn't even read the thread past the question posed.

I had one of the first 16.4.2 units made (January 2009) and have 191 shows on it plus a bunch of mixing down recordings.

None

None

4. No failures.

Right, no failures. The only issue is the first run of the mixers had a boo boo in the labeling on the Hz print outs on one of the EQ's. Presonus issued stickers to those that requested it. There is some wear around the knobs as the shiny coating of the labeling has been worn away. It's only noticeable in bright light.

My only real complaint has been recording and wireless operation at times. A MacBook solved the recording. The wireless ipad mixing is still hit and miss. It either works or doesn't (won't connect or gives improper readout on ipad).

EDIT: I just skimmed the other responses and yes, there is a pop and brief mute when you shut down Universal Control on your computer or unplug the firewire cable. While it would be great if this wasn't the case, I don't consider it a failure or even a glitch. It's the way it's supposed to work. Just don't do those things when you're using the board.

16.0.2 here. So far, no failures. Smaart failed to initialize once. Computer pukes on Capture once in a while. In use now for a little over a year.
IPAD app works well providing you use a separate router and do not use the computer for "ad hoc" networking - that seems to overload the processor.

Same thing as Sean (previous post)

"EDIT: I just skimmed the other responses and yes, there is a pop and brief mute when you shut down Universal Control on your computer or unplug the firewire cable. While it would be great if this wasn't the case, I don't consider it a failure or even a glitch. It's the way it's supposed to work. Just don't do those things when you're using the board."

Last edited:

I got one of the early 16.4.2 mixers, late 2009 and have used it two or three times a month since then.

One. 4 channels developed a load hissing on them. Sent it back. Presonus fixed it. Haven't had a problem since.

I haven't had any minor problems, but another tech told me he lost his saved scene, but I think that was user error.

I bought mine in 2009, used off an on for live and recording, 30-40 times easily. No major issues, I did sent board back once because once channel stated to act up, it would not pass audio, all others worked fine. I received it back in less than 2 weeks (they also changed the power supply) and have had zero issues since.

I always use a UPS on the board and no power issues, the table the board and computer were on did get bumped once, lost the firewire connection, and the board muted for a couple of seconds and worked fine rest of night.

IPAD app works well providing you use a separate router and do not use the computer for "ad hoc" networking - that seems to overload the processor."

Upon my first experience with the SL24, seeing the ad hoc suggestion in the user guide, even the mention of it bothered me somewhat. I'd NEVER try the ad hoc method for live remote mixing for a few reasons. And I find it worrisome that it was suggested and recommended, as opposed to mentioning the possibility, but advising against it. They really should have recommended the use of a router.

I've since had a few calls from friends with connectivity issues and my first question is "are you using a router?". The answer has been "no". Since suggesting the use of a router for connectivity, I've not heard back from those folks about the success of the router solution.

So either their connectivity issues were solved...

Or now they all think I'm an idiot...:))

Geri O

I mixed on a 16.4.2 last night that had lost all the channel presets after a firmware update. I was able to save the show scene however, as I will be mixing the same band there again in a month. I heard this is a common problem, but not sure how to fix it.

I mixed on a 16.4.2 last night that had lost all the channel presets after a firmware update. I was able to save the show scene however, as I will be mixing the same band there again in a month. I heard this is a common problem, but not sure how to fix it.

The "fix" is to back up your scenes prior to doing any sort of firmware upgrade. This should be standard practice with any digital equipment.

The "fix" is to back up your scenes prior to doing any sort of firmware upgrade. This should be standard practice with any digital equipment.

Can you enlighten me on how to do this? Since there is no off-line editor and I cannot find any way to load information from an external source, I'd be curious as to how you do this.

Edit: OK. I found it on page 73. Learn something new every day......

Last edited:

I have a 24ch, got it last spring. No issues so far, and I can plug and unplug my FireWire with no dropouts. Ran it last week on a 70kva construction gennie, no issues. I don't run a UPS. There are certainly a lot of goofy things about the board, but reliability hasn't been an issue for me yet. That said, I brought a band a small analog board Friday to get them through after their 16 ch froze up, all channels muted on it and no sound coming out. The guy reflashed it Saturday, and it worked for an hour or so and then the problem resurfaced, same thing, no output. He's sending it back.

That is not the issue. This was a walk-in situation, and all the standard channel presets were gone, empty. Those are the factory presets for drums, vocals, guitar, etc. which can be handy to use as a starting point to quickly load a show when time is short and little or no soundcheck is possible. Some saved scenes from other techs were in the memory, and I was able to save my show for the next time I'm there. The issue/problem is that there is some sort of bug that caused the mixer to lose the presets (but apparently not the saved scenes) when the last update was done. A firmware update should not cause the mixer to lose any data, and from what I have heard, this is not an uncommon occurence.