Presonus StudioLive versus the world.

Re: Presonus StudioLive versus the world.

I had a SL 16.0.2 but sold it a year ago when I got an X32 Compact -- no comparison. I still use one of the old 16.4.2's at the venue I mix for and can get very good results but it's far from state-of-the-art anymore. That mixer has done three shows a week for the past three years, had beer spilled on it several times, and has one faulty AUX but still chugs along on the five remaining. Like others I strongly prefer the X32 workflow and especially visualizations but the SL does seem a bit simpler to teach a newbie on -- or at least seems to have fewer ways to get tangled up with oneself. I've recorded both on the SL boards and my X32 and can't say as I find any difference in sound quality but firewire is a pain in comparison to USB. We'll be upgrading to a QU-24 soon at the venue which will be a nice upgrade.

So while I've no huge complaint about the SL series I just can't recommend it given the current state of the market. Good luck.

...dave

Re: Presonus StudioLive versus the world.

Are there manufacturers for whom you can just pop over to the factory for repairs? We run a pretty big business here in North America and we don't even do repairs, there aren't enough by several orders of magnitude to justify keeping someone on staff who could do them.
In the Southern California LA/Orange/San Bernardino County area, walk-in & drop-off service with RMA exists for JBL/ Soundcraft/ AKG in Northridge, Yamaha/ Nexo in Buena Park, QSC in Costa Mesa,
Roland in Ontario, and Line6 in Calabasas.
Granted, AFAIK, little to none of product manufacturing out of Costa Mesa and Northridge any longer.