Pretty Much Nails It

Re: Pretty Much Nails It

I'm happy to say that our local School of Rock® is very good about teaching young players about being on time, having pedal boards and other stuff hooked up and ready to move, how to tell the soundperson what is needed in monitors, and how to get off the stage. Not sure what they can do about the other forms of douchebaggery, but when kids learn the fundamentals of being ensemble players there seems to be fewer problems.

Thanks for the link... some of the comments and replies from the manager were interestingly obnoxious, too.

Six months and 10 days after the list was posted on Metalsucks dot com, the Creepy shut its doors.

If you're paying bands "gas money" and still can't make a profit, there's something wrong with the business model. Maybe if they didn't depend on the bands to do all the promotion...

Nothing disappointed me more than to role up to a new venue to find it is one of those 5 bands a night type places.

I could write the same shitty blog from the standpoint of the band about what the management expected of us.

Nothing disappointed me more than to role up to a new venue to find it is one of those 5 bands a night type places.

I could write the same shitty blog from the standpoint of the band about what the management expected of us.

Yeah, and I could write about what management expects of hired in production or "they work for beer & pizza" staff, too.

Anyone who's watched Bar Rescue can probably spot failings and negative trends in many of the bars we've all worked in over the years... drunk, belligerent owners/managers; bartenders who over pour or give away drinks (repeatedly); over-serving customers; unsanitary conditions; staff who have ulterior motives for their job - these are stock in trade in many live music establishments and most of them fail for a combination of those reasons.

This sounds like the ramblings of an idiot... Want a better crowd and more money flow? Hire bands (not paying them gas and giving them food. They aren't gypsies.) Out of the live music scene here I can tell you there is one place close by that is probably on the shortchange for getting "big" but the lies they tell the bands to get them in the door is funny as hell. such as "we always have a packed house." or "Yes, we have a professional sound system".... sorry 5 different speakers (brands) all with at least one blown driver does not equate a professional sound system... My home stereo sounds better...

I guess I get tired of all the bar owners complaining about paying out for entertainment. These same owners drive BMW's, Live in 4 story houses, and are making (profit) of 50k a night in bar sales, because of the entertainment it costs too much to pay 3k out to the production company and another 2.5k out to the band... yeah that hole 5.5k coming out of a 50k profit will sink you surely...

I was talking to someone today about the money made from putting bands on at club level for the 1st time in ages and I have to say there's a lot less profit in it than there was several years ago. I reckon this promoter will have about 15- 20% left of his take to pay himself, tax and publicity and any venue costs, I think he'll be lucky to get $300 profit a gig not very much, and that's with full houses over 5 gigs over a few weeks. I doubt he's going to fill every venue, though he should come close. I suspect the band and to a lesser extent the soundco will earn more over the course of these gigs. G

The only one that is remotely amusing is "side projects".

Lots of crying, hand wringing, and general whining other than that.