Progress (finally) on our house build.

Jack Arnott

Senior
Jan 29, 2011
Remember when I was asking for suggestions on a house build? I know, it's been quite a while.
So we finally have some progress. The foundation was poured today.

Attachments

• P1070310.jpg
    P1070310.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1070306.jpg
    P1070306.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 0
Re: Progress (finally) on our house build.

The three things that have slowed things down the most:
1) The very first thing we did was apply for a special exception, to enjoy the same set back from the street that we originally had.
(Because the zoning law calls for an average of all the set backs, and one property has been split in two, and one of the houses is about 100' back from the street, that would have moved us back 18'.)
It was supposed to be a three to three and a half week process, don't call us, we will call you. After four weeks, we called and got the "Oh yeah, we forgot, we will start that tomorrow".
2) We live within 500' of a fault line. There is a provision buried deep in the code, that calls for us to trench the site to 12,000 years (about 5.5') and show that there has not been any seismic activity in that period. It took the city over three weeks to communicate that to us, and then over four weeks to get the report out of the geo engineer. We do not have a special zoning because of this, but are supposed to know it.
3) The footings were poured the week of Thanksgiving. On a normal work schedule, the foundations would follow that same week. The forms (10' tall and not readily available) were at another job site, and the city did not inspect them on that week. In the time since, it has been to cold to pour cement. So the forms have been sitting there for three weeks. It looked dismal last week as an inversion set in, and it stays colder below, than above in that situation. But, it got just warm enough (not in single digits at night) to do that one, and now ours today.

For those of you paying very close attention (ha ha I flatter myself), there is already one suggestion being followed. That of Ivan for cement interior walls.

Attachments

• footings.jpg
    footings.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: