Prototyping three ways

2 Kevlar foam core neo motor midrange I made.
1 dual VC epoxy filled 15in speaker with Fe motor. About the same as new B&C 15in output minus the below 40Hz.
CDX3050 on custom horn.

Should be good crossed from 40-80 up with a subbass system to make full range but the sensitivity is at least 100db right now (maybe more). The Kevlar 8's are 5g cone weight. I made 10in which passed breaking in of 4hrs which was 8g. Sphericals show they both work to around 1300+Hz which is good.

Makes a pretty good 3-way minus the sub-bass. I should note the boxes are just random. The mid-high box is ported for 60 Hz with some High-BL 8in speakers but the mids aren't operating in that range.

PS. Images show 10in in a moded box to be sealed. A 70 thou gap 1.1T magnet and a 67 thou gap fenalic 1.6T magnet which delivers ~34Txm to the speaker.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 2
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 2
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Re: Prototyping three ways

How'd you do that, and how are the results?

To be honest, I do work for a loudspeaker manufacturer so I did have access to baskets, cones, fixtures, and etc. These were just some garage projects that I really wanted to see how well they would work. I wanted to make 8in and 10in composite cones and I wanted to make some dual Voice-coil magnets in a number of Flux Density. As soon as I get a nice day I'll go outside and take some measurements. They were really easy to cross over and only a few PEQs. Making the composite cones really was 'Make Your own Woofer' and was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

That is most impressive and the 4 way boxes / setup looks like a neat little kit. What are you using in the cabinets? It looks like some sort of upholstery filler.

Its a denim from some company I saw in a post on soundforums.net. Actually I can't remember the name and I lost the box. Its pretty expensive stuff, so much so that we don't use it at work. But it does have absorption on par with Cer-Wool without the health drawbacks! ;-) The normal denim we use at work is still pretty great, leaps and bounds better than Dacron.

A few weeks back I did sneak in some measurements while I was doing other stuff. They aren't that earth shattering but do show that a very light weight speaker can be stiffer than it's paper alternative. Left paper / right Kevlar.

Attachments

• kevlar-vs-paper.jpg
    kevlar-vs-paper.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1
  • spherical-measurement.jpg
    spherical-measurement.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1