PSA: Avoid contracting with AVForSale at all costs

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hi everyone,

I have been hemming and hawing about whether to share this story but I am 100% in the right and I have lost patience so here it goes.

AVForSale is an Ebay seller of used AV gear. The way they acquire the used gear is by contracting with people in need of liquidation of such equipment. You send them equipment, they sell it, take a percentage, and send you the rest. I was one of those people, and sent my equipment to them in November 2014.

Everything I sent was sold - I watched the listings. AVForSale provided me with a report of all the sales and exactly what amounts I was owed. The total came out to more than $9k.

When it came time to pay me, this is when problems began. They sent a check for $1,000 about a month late, and explained that they were having some cash flow issues. 8 months and a lot of reassuring emails later, it appears they are still having cash flow issues, and I have not received another cent. I had an open line of communication for a while with the guy who handles this aspect of their business, Bob Buchanan, but I have not heard from him since 10/1.

The company is in Georgia near Atlanta, I was in Chicago when I contracted with them, and now I live in California. This makes the route to legal resolution fairly tricky. I have been told that a lawyer is not likely to be interested in this case due to the amounts involved. I am not likely going to travel to Georgia to show up in small claims court. Given how well documented the situation is, I don't think it would be difficult to obtain a judgement in my favor, but the chances of actually recovering anything seem slim.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do. I wanted to share this story to save others the trouble. What is most likely happening is that they owe money to the bank and have decided to pay them and not me. Someone mentioned I could contact the police and report theft, but I'm not sure they would be interested. Another suggested I contact the press to report their unethical business practices.

Curious to hear what you think of this situation. I have been very tied up with life circumstances for most of this year and haven't been able to do much in the way of aggressive action, but I would like to make a move.

Re: PSA: Avoid contracting with AVForSale at all costs

Hi everyone,

I have been hemming and hawing about whether to share this story but I am 100% in the right and I have lost patience so here it goes.

AVForSale is an Ebay seller of used AV gear. The way they acquire the used gear is by contracting with people in need of liquidation of such equipment. You send them equipment, they sell it, take a percentage, and send you the rest. I was one of those people, and sent my equipment to them in November 2014.

Everything I sent was sold - I watched the listings. AVForSale provided me with a report of all the sales and exactly what amounts I was owed. The total came out to more than $9k.

When it came time to pay me, this is when problems began. They sent a check for $1,000 about a month late, and explained that they were having some cash flow issues. 8 months and a lot of reassuring emails later, it appears they are still having cash flow issues, and I have not received another cent. I had an open line of communication for a while with the guy who handles this aspect of their business, Bob Buchanan, but I have not heard from him since 10/1.

The company is in Georgia near Atlanta, I was in Chicago when I contracted with them, and now I live in California. This makes the route to legal resolution fairly tricky. I have been told that a lawyer is not likely to be interested in this case due to the amounts involved. I am not likely going to travel to Georgia to show up in small claims court. Given how well documented the situation is, I don't think it would be difficult to obtain a judgement in my favor, but the chances of actually recovering anything seem slim.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do. I wanted to share this story to save others the trouble. What is most likely happening is that they owe money to the bank and have decided to pay them and not me. Someone mentioned I could contact the police and report theft, but I'm not sure they would be interested. Another suggested I contact the press to report their unethical business practices.

Curious to hear what you think of this situation. I have been very tied up with life circumstances for most of this year and haven't been able to do much in the way of aggressive action, but I would like to make a move.

First things first, find the right phone number to call to get answers from AVForSale. As always, document everything you can. You may not like to do business with them again, but neither of you want this stain on your balance sheets. The only reason I say call is because it's too easy for them to ignore an email. As far as a lawyer not being interested, you're paying them and if it is as easy to win as you say then someone out there definitely wants an easy payday, even if it isn't five figures. You just have to find someone who is willing to take a smaller case.

Hello

Their eBay situation looks quite respectable - good feedback - plenty of stuff for sale - over 1200 items sold in last 12 months with only 2 negative and 2 neutral feedbacks. In my eBay-book an exellent seller. On their homepage are address and telephone number.

Just call the boss - tell him you already wrote here, and if they do not sort it out quickly, you'll first make it public in facebook and other forums - including their bank and mother - and then let it to police - this looks like fraud to me. Also promise,that if they promptly pay, what they owe you, you tell us that, too.

I take it you mean THIS company - good luck

Address
Inventory Solutions, Inc.
1222 Logan Circle
Atlanta, GA 30318
spacer.gif

Hours

Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm (Eastern)
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Phone
spacer.gif

Fax
spacer.gif

Toll Free
(404)355-6147(404)355-7462(866)634-5296
spacer.gif

Customer Service/Payments/eBay - Brad Mooney Ext. #7553
General Inquiries - Bob Buchanan Ext. #7555
Product Inquiry - Greg Scheuer Ext. #7554

Sometimes the small claims court paperwork is good enough to get people to move. I havent had that luck in my current situation (not AV for Sale) but its worth a shot.

Yes, this is the company I had in mind. I know exactly who to talk to, and he has stopped responding to calls and emails. I think he screens his calls. I will try calling from another number.

First things first, find the right phone number to call to get answers from AVForSale. As always, document everything you can. You may not like to do business with them again, but neither of you want this stain on your balance sheets. The only reason I say call is because it's too easy for them to ignore an email. As far as a lawyer not being interested, you're paying them and if it is as easy to win as you say then someone out there definitely wants an easy payday, even if it isn't five figures. You just have to find someone who is willing to take a smaller case.
Bob Buchanan, the guy handling my account, has stopped answering or returning my calls. That's why I'm looking into other avenues.

I'm here in Atlanta, In the same bot to the tune of $21,000, and I've actually initiated legal action against them. I will share the results of my legal actions as things proceed.

They go under this Ebay name now: bb334455. I have always had a great relationship with them, I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited: