Pseudo-intellectual bully with a sound level meter

frank kayser

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Maryland suburbs of DC
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if I'm asking for something from you, or whether I'm just venting. Probably just venting. But if you have something...

Background
In our little town, we hold a number of festivals that include a stage and music in the town center. Bands either play for free, of for a small stipend from a grant. I've been supplying sound for the majority of these festivals over the past three years. I may have made $200 (gross) over that time. Yeah, I'm working for free. I do it as a return to the community, so I don't go crazy listening to lousy sound, and to make contacts with the groups that play there for possible future job opportunities.

I'll drag my nearly new, $10K rig out there. Folks like what I do (or so they say). I'm VERY conscious of sound levels.

A local "nanny" has taken it upon himself to protect the city from hearing loss - primarily targeting the festivals, but has also been "nagging" folks at indoor venues. I know of at least two times where he has called the cops (not on my events). Of course, they say no law is being broken, and no city sound ordinance is being violated. He's also gone to the city council... Did I mention he is not on any festival planning organization, or helps in any capacity?

At all the festivals I worked last year, I took hourly level readings (via my Radio Shack meter) to the extent that I could map sound dispersion to nearly 1/8 mile. Except for the Blues Festival, I was running 85dB(A)(slow) at the end of my 100' snake. The Blues festival we kept below the 65dB(A) level at the property edge.

Current rant:
So I got this unsolicited email about "...This is about creating a "sound-safer" GM Festival than we had last year."
Copies to the Mayor, City Manager, and other city officials.

I've never been good at bully fighting - I'll finish out this festival this weekend, but am seriously contemplating just saying "F%^# IT" and let it be someone else's problem. Obviously, it's not about the money (or lack thereof - Did I mention last year at this event, a vendor drove over my snake killing about 1/2 the channels - for which I was never reimbursed?) I've made a lot of good friends with the organizers, bands and participants and feel some guilt about leaving them in the lurch, but someone has to curb this dog.

So the email...

Hi Sound Guys,
It was unforgivable of me not cc'ing you on this.
So much for my memory.
I hope it will be helpful.
Best, Bill xxxxxxxx

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Subject: 2013 Green Man Festival, Sound Concerns
To: [email protected]
Cc: Celia [email protected]>, Lore [email protected]>, Michael [email protected]>, Judith [email protected]>, Michael [email protected]>

Hi to the Committee,

Here is a reminder just in case not all of this information and opinion has reached you. This is about creating a "sound-safer" GM Festival than we had last year.

While I am not a audiologist, or a sound man, or a lawyer or a PhD level physicist, I have read perhaps 100 times more than the average person has on the subject of hearing damage resulting from exposure to higher sound levels for excessive durations.

Based upon that I urge the following in the setup of the sound for the bands.

1. That the band and the band and speakers be set back as far as possible from the audience as was done at last year's Crazy Quilt Festival.

2. That no speaker be placed where a person could accidentally walk less than at a distance of 5 feet in front of it. This is still not a safe distance in the case of sound mishaps or high level sounds, but is a safer distance.

3. That no booth be placed within 20 feet of the bandstand, as persons working in the booths will be stuck all day, and will experience the longest exposures possibly to sound levels in excess of 85 decibels. Duration of exposure is just as significant as intensity of exposure.

4. That band leaders be instructed that there will be young children present and that their hearing is more vulnerable to damage than is the hearing of the adults present. The band should be playing at a level of about 20 decibels lower when there are younger children present. Ref's provided upon request.

5. That no seating be provided in front of the band, as placement of the seating near the band and their speakers brings an expectation of safety, which I believe could get the City into legal trouble if there is some sort of mishap whereby there is an accidental extremely loud (140 decibels or more) speaker pop, squeal, roar, static, crack etc, such as sometimes causes a lifetime of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and/or some degree of permanent hearing loss. A list of possible mishaps that can cause extreme sound from speakers provided on request.

6. That, in the event that music is being played at a level in excess of 85 decibels, signs be installed instructing parents to keep children farther away from the band and its speakers.

7. That a sound level meter will be in use by the sound man.

8. That there will be established before the event that the sound man is in control of the overall sound level as well as of the sound level from any individual voice or any instrument, even if he must walk up to the individual on the bandstand and instruct a turn-down of a band member's personal amplifier which, perhaps, might not be "running through" the main speakers and is not controllable from the sound board. I believe that it is essential that the sound man be in complete control of the sound, and the performers should not have to allow such concerns to distract them from their performing.

9. That, if the sound is extremely loud, and if cheap ear plugs are being offered, the users of the earplugs will be instructed that there are two requirements for safe use of earplugs: 1) a high-quality pair ($30/pair and up) should be used, and 2) that there be skillful installation of the earplugs. Otherwise there arises a false sense of security which can lead to hearing damage.

I'm sorry about being so worrisome here, but the administrative and set-up discomfort we see here is small to the discomfort experienced by (sometimes suicidal) persons who have permanent tinnitus and/or smaller or larger increments of permanent hearing loss.

Many thanks for whatever you can do to insure a more sound-enjoyable Green Man Festival 2013.

Bill xxxxxxx
----------------------------
So there it is. Kinda takes the joy out of it.

frank

Re: Pseudo-intellectual bully with a sound level meter

Some of his suggestions sound good... others are a little crazy ($30 plugs?).

Is there any chance of making this guy part of the festival so he is less of an outside guy taking cheap shots and actually takes some responsibility for pleasing the audience?

He seems well intentioned but not as well informed as he thinks.

JR

Frank,

Some people are just a pain in the ass about particular subject. The guy has some reasonable suggestions, but I don't think any of them are really aimed at you. You can easily show a good faith effort towards reasonable noise exposure, and a quick note about what it would cost to really target sound at one area will surely encourage the committee that this is not feasible. I suggest you have a beer, chill out, and wait a few rounds before weighing in on this one. Coming in with a strong response will surely not make this guy like you, and in the end you're probably going to have to be friendly with him.

In the end, we know nothing about hearing loss induced by the type of exposure you might see at even a very loud concert. Remember when the walkman came out, and then the iPod, and everyone was screaming that kids will be listening to their music at max volume and everyone will be deaf in a decade? Well, kids did listen to their music at max volume, but I have yet to see any hearing loss trend. My hearing is well above average for my age, and while I have not had the exposure of most, if I don't have any then it is unlikely your modest levels will be a problem for your audience.

JR
Thanks for a great idea. Getting him involved is the ticket. Personally, I don't think he has the guts for it though. Bullies never do.

Yes, he does have some reasonable ideas. About those... In an effort to get him more "educated", I've spent hours in explaining how things work - like that one just cant pull faders down to reduce volume. "Suggestions" #1, 7, 8 he listed for managing sound are a rehash of things I've educated him about over the last year and a half. Of course, I practiced what I preached...

Maybe we could rent him (give) a booth so that he can have an educational presence for the audience - he can instruct on proper use of earplugs, show off his readings on the sound level meter, posters about the sound scale, etc. Whatever he wants.

Of course, last year when we gave him the opportunity to draw arcs on the sidewalk where it may be save levels and produce signs we would post,, he did not show; he did send a representative who, on her way to a movie starting in 10 minutes, said it was a good idea for me to draw the circles. I asked also where their signs were. They thought I was going to make them. No, they did not even think of the sidewalk chalk.

We will offer him a booth - in the safe area. I'll set it up and put up a sign on it: Bill xxxx's Sound Safety Booth. We'll see...

In the meantime, I'll do what I usually do.

Yeah. Show 'em Bennett's avatar and the disclaimer that "loud rock'n'roll didn't hurt this guy".

Seriously, look at item #8 in "concerned listeners" list. This (stage manager) position might be a good place for "concerned" to become involved so that the sound man can just get on with his job.

You should thank him for offering to pay to have you and your crew equipped with high quality custom molded earplug by Westone with Etymotics filers which cost in excess of $180, as that is the only level of ear protection that will guarantee safe operation at 85 decibels over an 8 to 10 hour long festival. Also give him the name of the local audiologist who will be happy to make said custom molds for each an every member of the audience, especially since he has volunteered to head up the grant writing committee to fun the community's new custom molded ear plugs.

Inform him that he does not need to worry about your speakers producing a 140 db pop or squeal or "mishap", because the City is not paying for premium level PA speakers and that the bargain basement speakers that you will be bringing will crack their magnets, tear the speaker cones, and catch on fire long before they ever produce any sound that is even close to 140db.

But also thank him for suggesting that people not be allowed to sit, stand, or walk close to your speakers, as you are just a small time operation and can't afford to replace said speakers if one of the audience members decides to climb on, or knock over the speaker. Suggest, in fact, that all audience members be kept at least 25 feet away from all speakers and sound equipment, including the FOH mix position, except for attractive young ladies, whom you will supply with ear plugs at your own expense.

Also, be sure to ask him to serve as the liaison between you and your sound crew and the musicians on stage, so that he will personally be given the authority to turn down all on stage amplifiers. Also, be sure to tell him that he will have to provide his own decibel meter for this event, as yours will be in use monitoring the levels at FOH. He will need at least a Galaxy CM-160 decibel meter, as anything less expensive will not provide accurate readings at higher sound pressure levels, such as on stage.

Also be sure to thank him for the suggestion of keeping children away from the festival, as they should be at home studying or doing chores rather than out in public where they might impede the fun having ability of the adults of the community.

Some of his suggestions sound good... others are a little crazy ($30 plugs?).

Is there any chance of making this guy part of the festival so he is less of an outside guy taking cheap shots and actually takes some responsibility for pleasing the audience?

He seems well intentioned but not as well informed as he thinks.

JR

I totally agree. To take it one step further. I suggest that the city hire, well, with out pay, him to be the person who is in charge of turning down the musicians amps as he sees/hears fit.

In the end, we know nothing about hearing loss induced by the type of exposure you might see at even a very loud concert. Remember when the walkman came out, and then the iPod, and everyone was screaming that kids will be listening to their music at max volume and everyone will be deaf in a decade? Well, kids did listen to their music at max volume, but I have yet to see any hearing loss trend. My hearing is well above average for my age, and while I have not had the exposure of most, if I don't have any then it is unlikely your modest levels will be a problem for your audience.
I remember when the Walkman came out.
I also remember what it was like to hear 4kHz louder than any other frequency.
Those days are gone forever, with a huge noise induced hole where the fricatives are. I blame power tools as much as rock and roll for the hearing damage.
Now the difference between hearing at 4kHz and it being too loud for my ears resides in a narrow region about where Frank mixes at, 85-90 dBA slow.
Keeps my mixes pretty tight, but I miss those days when my hearing was still in the normal range and walking up to the stage didn't cause a big threshold shift.

Then again, if my hearing was normal, the inverse distance law wouldn't bug me as much, and I wouldn't have had the motivation to come up with this:

http://soundforums.net/varsity/7268-hyperboline-%99-new-player-old-game.html

I sure would like to see what they could do if loaded with some of those nice B&C full range drivers (hint hint, Bennett) instead of the cheap shit my R&D department could afford.

Art

That guy's email reminded me of this one my dad forwarded me from his work the other day:

"FYI:
There is a sick or damaged pigeon sitting on the top of the “lab waste” shelves on the loading dock. B****** was calling someone to take of it. There is caution tape around the area.
This pigeon may be sick so keep your distance. It doesn’t appear to be bothered by humans getting near it, which isn’t normal behavior.
Thanks,
K*****"

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if I'm asking for something from you, or whether I'm just venting. Probably just venting. But if you have something...

Background
In our little town, we hold a number of festivals that include a stage and music in the town center. Bands either play for free, of for a small stipend from a grant. I've been supplying sound for the majority of these festivals over the past three years. I may have made $200 (gross) over that time. Yeah, I'm working for free. I do it as a return to the community, so I don't go crazy listening to lousy sound, and to make contacts with the groups that play there for possible future job opportunities.

I'll drag my nearly new, $10K rig out there. Folks like what I do (or so they say). I'm VERY conscious of sound levels.

A local "nanny" has taken it upon himself to protect the city from hearing loss - primarily targeting the festivals, but has also been "nagging" folks at indoor venues. I know of at least two times where he has called the cops (not on my events). Of course, they say no law is being broken, and no city sound ordinance is being violated. He's also gone to the city council... Did I mention he is not on any festival planning organization, or helps in any capacity?

At all the festivals I worked last year, I took hourly level readings (via my Radio Shack meter) to the extent that I could map sound dispersion to nearly 1/8 mile. Except for the Blues Festival, I was running 85dB(A)(slow) at the end of my 100' snake. The Blues festival we kept below the 65dB(A) level at the property edge.

Current rant:
So I got this unsolicited email about "...This is about creating a "sound-safer" GM Festival than we had last year."
Copies to the Mayor, City Manager, and other city officials.

I've never been good at bully fighting - I'll finish out this festival this weekend, but am seriously contemplating just saying "F%^# IT" and let it be someone else's problem. Obviously, it's not about the money (or lack thereof - Did I mention last year at this event, a vendor drove over my snake killing about 1/2 the channels - for which I was never reimbursed?) I've made a lot of good friends with the organizers, bands and participants and feel some guilt about leaving them in the lurch, but someone has to curb this dog.

So the email...

Hi Sound Guys,
It was unforgivable of me not cc'ing you on this.
So much for my memory.
I hope it will be helpful.
Best, Bill xxxxxxxx

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Subject: 2013 Green Man Festival, Sound Concerns
To: [email protected]
Cc: Celia [email protected]>, Lore [email protected]>, Michael [email protected]>, Judith [email protected]>, Michael [email protected]>

Hi to the Committee,

Here is a reminder just in case not all of this information and opinion has reached you. This is about creating a "sound-safer" GM Festival than we had last year.

While I am not a audiologist, or a sound man, or a lawyer or a PhD level physicist, I have read perhaps 100 times more than the average person has on the subject of hearing damage resulting from exposure to higher sound levels for excessive durations.

Based upon that I urge the following in the setup of the sound for the bands.

1. That the band and the band and speakers be set back as far as possible from the audience as was done at last year's Crazy Quilt Festival.

2. That no speaker be placed where a person could accidentally walk less than at a distance of 5 feet in front of it. This is still not a safe distance in the case of sound mishaps or high level sounds, but is a safer distance.

3. That no booth be placed within 20 feet of the bandstand, as persons working in the booths will be stuck all day, and will experience the longest exposures possibly to sound levels in excess of 85 decibels. Duration of exposure is just as significant as intensity of exposure.

4. That band leaders be instructed that there will be young children present and that their hearing is more vulnerable to damage than is the hearing of the adults present. The band should be playing at a level of about 20 decibels lower when there are younger children present. Ref's provided upon request.

5. That no seating be provided in front of the band, as placement of the seating near the band and their speakers brings an expectation of safety, which I believe could get the City into legal trouble if there is some sort of mishap whereby there is an accidental extremely loud (140 decibels or more) speaker pop, squeal, roar, static, crack etc, such as sometimes causes a lifetime of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and/or some degree of permanent hearing loss. A list of possible mishaps that can cause extreme sound from speakers provided on request.

6. That, in the event that music is being played at a level in excess of 85 decibels, signs be installed instructing parents to keep children farther away from the band and its speakers.

7. That a sound level meter will be in use by the sound man.

8. That there will be established before the event that the sound man is in control of the overall sound level as well as of the sound level from any individual voice or any instrument, even if he must walk up to the individual on the bandstand and instruct a turn-down of a band member's personal amplifier which, perhaps, might not be "running through" the main speakers and is not controllable from the sound board. I believe that it is essential that the sound man be in complete control of the sound, and the performers should not have to allow such concerns to distract them from their performing.

9. That, if the sound is extremely loud, and if cheap ear plugs are being offered, the users of the earplugs will be instructed that there are two requirements for safe use of earplugs: 1) a high-quality pair ($30/pair and up) should be used, and 2) that there be skillful installation of the earplugs. Otherwise there arises a false sense of security which can lead to hearing damage.

I'm sorry about being so worrisome here, but the administrative and set-up discomfort we see here is small to the discomfort experienced by (sometimes suicidal) persons who have permanent tinnitus and/or smaller or larger increments of permanent hearing loss.

Many thanks for whatever you can do to insure a more sound-enjoyable Green Man Festival 2013.

Bill xxxxxxx
----------------------------
So there it is. Kinda takes the joy out of it.

frank

Bill has too much time on his hands.. Someone needs to take him to a shoe show

He will need at least a Galaxy CM-160 decibel meter, as anything less expensive will not provide accurate readings at higher sound pressure levels, such as on stage.

And add:

"Both measurement device and technician operating the device must be certified and calibrate and a quarterly bases, four times a year by the manufacturer. No third party calibrations will be deemed acceptable. All certification and calibration must be provided to all parties involved in a given function not less than ninety calendar days prior to the opening day of said function and then again the day of the function."

attachment.php

This little piece of work showed up in our local paper after our Canada Festival last year, I was the FOH engineer that day so I consider it to be a bit of a trophy. I especially like the part about the sound getting louder as they walked closer to the stage, my college physics prof would be pleased with her observation.

Of course the other 2500 people who didn't pack up and leave might disagree with her. She did get a letter inviting her to join the planning committee, don't think she ever responded.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9735

OSHA guidelines allow for a constant 90db sound for an 8 hour day. They actually allow 115db for 15 minutes or less per day. Calculating in the average dynamics of live music, and the time between songs, etc., you could run your show seeing peaks around 100db and still easily be within the guidelines for an all day show without any hearing protection.

If your sound system is capable of producing a 140dB sound at any distance from the speaker under any circumstances, I want to shake your hand. That, my friend would be impressive.

I love the demand that no seating be placed in front of the band. What about behind the band? What if you just have the band members face backwards? Problem solved, right? LOL.

Yeah, this guy is just a pain. An organized pain, for sure. Does it deserve a response? Eh, maybe. Some of the stuff you can easily accommodate. Caution tape 5 feet in front of the speakers shouldn't be too hard. Heck, I'd love that to keep people away from my stuff.

But other demands, like dropping the level 20db when kids are present is just absurd. It sounds like you've done a great job of keeping sound levels quite reasonable for the event. My general rule of thumb is I want the sound about 10-15db over the ambient sound in the listening area. For an outdoor festival with a couple hundred people present, 85dB is probably just about right.

When I do festivals that the general public is invited, I always have a bag of ear plugs available. When someone says it's too loud, I sell them a pair. For most people, that's enough. When I'm out, I usually wear earplugs myself, because it makes it easier to hear people next to you talking over the band. Weird, but it works.

Times like this, I'm thankful to be part of this community. You all have been there, and your responses, whether humorous ("Diana Moon Glampers" - perfectly appropriate), to general commiseration, perspective, to specific suggestions on ways to respond. Thanks.

Brian jojade - He and I have long discussed OSHA vs. NIOSH standards - NIOSH being more conservative - he feels the OSHA table was tainted and watered down due to large manufacturing concerns' influence on the process.

I have decided to respond now, after two days of stewing, and taking Bennet's advice of drinking a beer (every time it turned 5:00 somewhere) and "invite" him to take an active role in his project.
Took more than a few passes for the "snarkiness" filter to work. I'll sleep on my latest draft (with the same CC list to Mayor, etc) and send it off in the AM. It looks like this:

Bill (et al)
I believe that I've established myself as a responsible sound provider over the years. I don't anticipate problems of violating City Ordinances or your proposed safety levels. As you are quite aware, part of my indoor and outdoor sound control protocol has been, and continues to be, exactly as you describe in suggestions 1 (stage, speakers back by Madonna and Child - where appropriate), 7 (sound level meter use), and 8 (liaison to the band to control stage volume). As it works out, those three strategies were the ones I brought to your attention during a flurry of emails last year. You quoted me nearly word for word - I guess imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. As always, I'll take responsibility for those points.

As to the other suggestions:
#2 - I would like to keep the public from around my gear - not only as a crowd safety measure, but also as protection for my equipment investment. As you are probably not aware, a new, and very expensive audio snake was ruined (crushed and shorted) at The Green Man festival last year due to a careless vendor driving over the snake. Maybe I'll run some caution tape and reduce the possibility an expensive equipment loss again this year. And, of course, crowd safety.

We all know volunteers are in short supply, and are quite busy with their assigned responsibilities and things they understand. Suggestions 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9 would be best implemented and monitored by someone who understands the importance of the details, and can dedicate their full time and attention to those matters.

Its good that you are being proactive - and here's your golden opportunity to actually make a difference. Maybe it's time for you to take that next step up. I'm sure that you, Bill, will make yourself available Saturday and Sunday for those tasks - including monitoring of the dance area for children who you will need to direct to a more appropriate, safe place.

For those events that do not require sound reinforcement, (i.e., the Drum Circle) I'm sure you will be there to direct the participants as to the safe sound levels as necessary.

In addition to your suggestions, might I suggest you set up an information and education booth for the two days to serve as your base of operations. While at the booth, you can provide ear protection and show how that protection is to be properly used. Grab some proper hearing protection you can share, make up some charts and handouts, and make it an educational experience. I know we'll have the space - we can supply a table for you.

Please understand the sound tent is not the proper place for these activities as my full time and attention will be directed to providing quality, appropriate sound reinforcement, and therefore the safe control of the sound - on stage and in the plaza.

I know your intent is for a safer festival, and I know you will enjoy directly participating in making that happen. Thank you.

Be ready for the drum circle at 9:30 on Saturday!

frank

ps. Bill - Other things that need fact checking:
1. The suggestion of dropping levels by 20dB when children are present - assuming we're running at 85 dB(A), a 20dB reduction would put the sound at or below ambient levels on the plaza, or on Crescent Road, for that matter.
2. The system I provide is incapable of producing 140dB sound levels - at all - let alone feedback or pop "mishap".
3. Check your facts concerning "cheapie" ear plugs. When used properly, they are much more effective than you portray. BTW, higher cost does not necessarily mean better protection.
4. Whether using OSHA or NIOSH specifications, both refer to an average sound level over time. Neither you nor The City are prepared to accurately measure that sort of compliance.

-----------------------
Ball squarely in his court. I feel much better now...

Brian jojade - He and I have long discussed OSHA vs. NIOSH standards - NIOSH being more conservative - he feels the OSHA table was tainted and watered down due to large manufacturing concerns' influence on the process.

Of course neither applies, since this is not a workplace and we're not talking about occupational noise exposure.

I don't know the laws in USA or Canada.. but it could very well be a workplace (it would be deemed as one in Oz). Is anyone being paid to work there - it's a work place. Hence the comments about the people manning booths nearby being forced into the exposure.

There was an article a few years ago about a particular symphonic piece being unable to be played at concert halls in Europe because the noise exposure to the musicians would put them over the limit.

This isn't to say i'm on his side - everything has a time and place and his place.. is nowhere near the fun and enjoyment of the public at large !

Andrew

2. The system I provide is incapable of producing 140dB sound levels - at all - let alone feedback or pop "mishap".

A possible minor edit for clarity... "The system I provide is NOT capable of producing 140 dB sound levels under any circumstance, including fault or mishap.

=====
Asking him to attend the drum circle seems cruel and unusual punishment.... :)

JR

Frank....

A couple of points:

1. He should also be concerned with the ambient noise level. Rule of thumb would be sound system run 10db above ambient for effective propagation of event sound. This would require the coverage area to be rigidly defined and the 10db difference to be present at the furthest reach. That puts things squarely into the realm of physics and measurements.

2. Responding to such stuff is "playing their game". I would not respond directly to the complainant as that will likely prolong things. If there is a board or committee, simply cooperate with them, refute any spurious or unsubstantiated complaints and stick to BP's beer regimen.

A possible minor edit for clarity... "The system I provide is NOT capable of producing 140 dB sound levels under any circumstance, including fault or mishap.

=====
Asking him to attend the drum circle seems cruel and unusual punishment.... :)

JR

Frank,

I'd probably include something to the effect of putting Bill in the liability chain should someone come back and sue for damaged hearing-if he's so gung ho on becoming the sound police, then he's on the hook if someone claims hearing damage. Perhaps that'll dampen his superhero urges.

And Dick, check the definitions of each form of that word, it's really quite possible they are interchangeable.

Best regards,

John