QRx218 & Xi1191 Questions

Robert Healey

Freshman
Jan 20, 2011
Lawrence, KS
Now that my mid/high speaker issues are solved (the Xi-1122s sound great, though they need a new coat of paint...), I'm looking at subs.

I have a couple requirements, some more unrealistic than others:

1) I'd like to carry them by myself. Probably not going to happen.
2) Quality and low frequency extension are important, quantity of sound not so much. They only have to keep up with the Xi-1122s.
3) I'd like to stick with EV, though the JTR Captivator Pro looks interesting.

I initially started looking at single 18in - the QRX118 and Xi-1191.

Today, I realized that the QRx218 is the same size and weight as the Xi-1191. They both use the EVX-180B and have 13ply birch enclosures. The QRX 218 has five dB more output and goes lower than the Xi-1191. How does that work? What advantage does the Xi-1191 offer?

Re: QRx218 & Xi1191 Questions

Robert,

I recently tuned up several boxes with the EVX-180B woofer in them, although unfortunately not the Xi-1191. Also unfortunately, EV's spec sheets are miserable. I was lucky to get an impedance trace of the driver on the driver spec sheet, and I think that may have been a mistake as some of their other spec sheets don't have it.

The DL on the QRx 218, in my mind, is that it is a good sounding box that requires processing, but not a lot of power. An iTech HD 6000 would be more than enough, peak excursion must be limited to 125v and you will probably reach it. When I tuned them up I had an iTech HD 8000 to play with and that was more than enough amp. Otherwise the box is small and light and convenient, well built. I liked it just fine, but for a slightly larger box you can have a lot (6dB) more output and lower LF corner. You're not getting significant 30Hz out of that box, but it will do 40Hz all day.

My QRX218's were one of the boxes Bennett got to tune, believe me, it makes a HUGE difference in there performance.
I ran them for a little over 2-1/2 years, they are a good sounding box as mentioned but they are limited in what they can do when compared to other similar priced 218's on the market.
For me the QRX218 fit my major need perfect, that was my truck pack issue.
The size of the QRX is what made my decison for me, and I also have had great luck with EV products.
I never played with any DSP or messed around with system tuning such as SMAART, I always did okay with just using my ears.
And I was fine with that up until a year ago when I purchased a Yorkville LS801P, plain and simple the Yorkie will stomp the crap out of the QRX218.
This bothered me...alot!
I did everything to try and improve the performance of the QRX218, I changed my sub amp to an IT8000, asked a billion questions on how to setup the DSP.
Still.....was not happy.
Finally got someone to come down and SMAART my rig (thanks again Bennett) and it did make a difference....still not sure if the QRX218 would keep up to the LS801P but at least now it would give it a good fight.
There is some wicked EQ that needs to go on with the lower freq. of the QRX218 to get it to perform, when it is EQ'd the box really came to life and I was much happier with them.
Still didn't pass up the opportunity to sell them though when the chance came up.
I did pass along the DSP settings that Bennett came up with and I hope there new owner tries to apply them because it helps those cabs out a bunch.
Long story short...if you buy the QRX218 have someone SMAART your rig (or I can send you the settings I had), or...save some money and buy a pair of Yorkville LS801P's.

I have for a long time loved EV's full range cabinets and loathed their subs. The MT4 was the last thing they made that did what it was supposed to do. Lots and lots of 60hz.

Every other EV sub I've tried (and its been a lot) has come up short in some way or another. I'd look hard at the JTR products. Although I've never heard them, they seem to get a lot of positive press by people who know what they are talking about.

I actually remember another EV sub that makes me happy. The lowly TL505 box would produce 35hz from a flea powered amp all day long. I use them places where I need a little bump and all there is is one mystery circuit to be had.

I don't have a ton of experience with the EV line, but the MT4 properly processed will tear your ass apart, deliver performance very nearly to 30Hz, and do 50Hz all day with headroom forever. I'm glad I don't have to move 'em though. They do take a good beating and you can get 'em for cheap.

Also, the Xsub is a totally decent cabinet. I'd love to have a bunch of them to work with.

I think the issue here may be "properly processed". If you are not using any processing on those products you are doing it wrong. There are some subs that perform well without equalization, these are not they. It is a crime to not put the right settings into your DSP, they are not exactly complicated, and it sounds like the subs are getting a bad name because of it.

I plan on buying an EV Dx46 processor before I get the subs so I should get some presets to play around with.

I am going to take another look at the Growler - maybe I can demo one next time I'm in Chicago. The specs look good. I guess the Th-118 can go on the list, too, as it's only 10lbs heavier than the QRx218. It might be hard to find used, though, and I'm not sure I could afford a new one.

Will a pair of Th-Minis go lower than a single? I seem to remember that they don't due to the horn. I like the size and weight but 48 Hz seems a bit high.

I have for a long time loved EV's full range cabinets and loathed their subs. The MT4 was the last thing they made that did what it was supposed to do. Lots and lots of 60hz.

And it built fine hernias, 12 ways. Heavy, awkward, and lots of 60...

Every other EV sub I've tried (and its been a lot) has come up short in some way or another. I'd look hard at the JTR products. Although I've never heard them, they seem to get a lot of positive press by people who know what they are talking about.

I actually remember another EV sub that makes me happy. The lowly TL505 box would produce 35hz from a flea powered amp all day long. I use them places where I need a little bump and all there is is one mystery circuit to be had.

Jeff seems to be doing well with his designs at JTR. I heard the original Growler at the NYC Sub Shootout in 2007 and it stood out because it wasn't what everything else was: big and/or heavy. There was a lot of very musical, very useable LF coming from a pretty small box. The Growler has been through a couple of changes since then. The Orbit Shifter looks interesting and has received good reviews on the old PSW forums.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc