QSC GX3 - Is it enough for my horns?

Re: QSC GX3 - Is it enough for my horns? Something else to consider

not to hijack this, but has anyone has issues with qx series we had 3 go this year. all around the same time. I am assuming it was a power issue tho.

EQ4: +6dB @ 9.6k, 12/dB Hi-Shelf (Do this one to taste)

You will certainly HAVE to implement the shelf to taste if you are not using the processor the settings were originally developed on. Shelf filter definitions are highly (and absurdly) variable between processors -- far more so than bell filters. Here is a +12 dB, 12 dB shelf filter set to 1 kHz, measured in eight different processors:

1k 12 dB shelf.PNG

We never use shelf filters for loudspeaker presets for this very reason.

You will certainly HAVE to implement the shelf to taste if you are not using the processor the settings were originally developed on. Shelf filter definitions are highly (and absurdly) variable between processors -- far more so than bell filters. Here is a +12 dB, 12 dB shelf filter set to 1 kHz, measured in eight different processors:

View attachment 2756

We never use shelf filters for loudspeaker presets for this very reason.

Ok, you know you can't post a graphic like that without getting 100 requests to know who the blue trace is!

Jason

Ok, you know you can't post a graphic like that without getting 100 requests to know who the blue trace is!

The guilty party shall remain nameless -- but they know who they are! A person in the company whom I trust implicitly has admitted to being aware of the problem and is trying to get it fixed in a future software/firmware release.

To be completely fair, the filter in question is found only in input, not output processing. Since most loudspeaker filters are applied in output processing (I think?) its unlikely you will run into an issue with this particular product. The filter also has an adjustable Q, so you can vary the shape of the slope. I measured the filter using its default Q.

The key point is one Bennett harps on all the time: you have to measure processors and figure out what each does. Never, ever assume.

To be completely fair, the filter in question is found only in input, not output processing. Since most loudspeaker filters are applied in output processing (I think?) its unlikely you will run into an issue with this particular product.

This isn't really all that comforting. It seems to me quite logical that applying a filter in a given DSP should give the same response no mater what.

Philip

This isn't really all that comforting. It seems to me quite logical that applying a filter in a given DSP should give the same response no mater what.

One would think, but there are many manufacturers who use different filters for input vs. output processing. Their argument is that output is for loudspeakers, and input it for arrays, systems, and "sweetening". Fortunately, most of them show the difference on the screen... but perhaps not all?

Lately we've been hit over the head with comments about the "wealth gap" so I'll draw a parallel. As we move toward a complete domination of KISS powered boxes could it be that the kids with the propellors on their heads are going to be the only ones who deal with magic processor settings in black boxes? In that case perhaps we will roll our own filters rather than use the prescribed and inconsistent ones we're currently being frustrated with? These filters are created with clearly defined underlying mathematical functions and terms. We can use them rather than the simplified ones we've grown to know and love. Let's leave the generic parametric EQ to the mixing console... Now that I've written it out let me clarify the parallel. The haves and have nots have different priorities and language just as the Joe Simple sound dudes have a different world than the Bennett Prescotts do. Many of us have been living in the "sound guy middle class" knowing just enough advanced stuff to be dangerous.

Re: QSC GX3 - Is it enough for my horns?

Just a quick thanks to Evan. I used your settings on the horns last night and they sounded excellent. The "honkyness" was gone and they sounded much smoother. Thanks again.