Qsc pld

Matt Lillie

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
NH
These have been out for a bit, is anyone here using them? I'm looking at the 4.5. Any comments? Do they work well on subs as well as full range? Looks like a good package on paper, but reliability is a concern.

Thanks!
Matt

Re: Qsc pld

These have been out for a bit, is anyone here using them? I'm looking at the 4.5. Any comments? Do they work well on subs as well as full range? Looks like a good package on paper, but reliability is a concern.

Thanks!
Matt

Had a quick look on the QSC site and it all looks fine. They are a big company with a history so hopefully these things will last a while. The one thing I noticed that really makes me happy is that the software is also Mac/Apple compatible - YAY! Maybe now the Crown folks will rethink their PC only software when they start losing sales due to platform preferences.

Had a quick look on the QSC site and it all looks fine. They are a big company with a history so hopefully these things will last a while. The one thing I noticed that really makes me happy is that the software is also Mac/Apple compatible - YAY! Maybe now the Crown folks will rethink their PC only software when they start losing sales due to platform preferences.

The "software" is currently just a firmware update and preset backup tool. it doesn't allow you to actually do anything
I don't know how a company can spend the time it takes to produce firmware that does all the hard work, plus a UI but then takes forever to create a control app.

Jason

The "software" is currently just a firmware update and preset backup tool. it doesn't allow you to actually do anything
I don't know how a company can spend the time it takes to produce firmware that does all the hard work, plus a UI but then takes forever to create a control app.

Jason

DANG! The big words on the web site are a little misleading then. OK how about a head count? How many brands offer fully programable amps with features similar to the Crown? Am I correct that PowerSoft and Lab Gruppen have similar features? What about the Crest amps?

I picked up a 4.3 and a 4.5 and have used them a few times without a problem. This week I'll use them for triamp sides and drum fills. That'll be a test fer sure.

Evan, as an owner of these amps, I'm curious about the deets related to the failures you dealt with. Were they loaded down? Was limiting set on the amps? There are three separate limiter curves on board so I could see that maybe going wrong. Were speakers damaged too?

We were one of the first to use these amps over a year ago. Mid shows a few weeks into owning them one of the amps stopped sending output and came up with "Failure" on the LCD screen. We had to send it in and QSC sent out a new one. Fast forward a few months we now had a spare in the rack. Fire up the main amp and none of the mute buttons would un mute. Fire up the spare and the same exact issue. We found out that QSC knew about the issue and released a new firmware to resolve it, but never notified us. Pretty alarming as we are dealers.

All that being said they are a very impressive little amp. We run 1 MTL sub and 1 EV QRX212 a side off of one amp and it sounds great and has more than enough power for our application. We have put the amp against the new Lab Groupen 1 space 2 channel amp with "lake processing" built in and this QSC not only sounded better, but had a good bit more headroom.

We have been using the newest of the PLD amps we own all summer long non stop without issue. I feel like QSC has finally gotten all the kinks out of this amp.

We were one of the first to use these amps over a year ago. Mid shows a few weeks into owning them one of the amps stopped sending output and came up with "Failure" on the LCD screen. We had to send it in and QSC sent out a new one. Fast forward a few months we now had a spare in the rack. Fire up the main amp and none of the mute buttons would un mute. Fire up the spare and the same exact issue. We found out that QSC knew about the issue and released a new firmware to resolve it, but never notified us. Pretty alarming as we are dealers.

All that being said they are a very impressive little amp. We run 1 MTL sub and 1 EV QRX212 a side off of one amp and it sounds great and has more than enough power for our application. We have put the amp against the new Lab Groupen 1 space 2 channel amp with "lake processing" built in and this QSC not only sounded better, but had a good bit more headroom.

We have been using the newest of the PLD amps we own all summer long non stop without issue. I feel like QSC has finally gotten all the kinks out of this amp.

AHA! Now we're getting somewhere - someone who owns and uses them. So what's up with the software? Is it merely a firmware update as Jason said or is it a full featured set of tools akin to what Crown offers? Have you used a Mac/Apple to make presets with various functions??

AHA! Now we're getting somewhere - someone who owns and uses them. So what's up with the software? Is it merely a firmware update as Jason said or is it a full featured set of tools akin to what Crown offers? Have you used a Mac/Apple to make presets with various functions??

The software does firmware updating and lets you transfer presets from one amp to another. It does run on Mac.

Supposedly futures versions of the software will have broader functionality. I look forward to setting them up quickly on the Mac. The pld interface is user friendly in the meantime.

Failures within days sounds like a combination of inadequate protection within the amplifier, and grossly inappropriate application. What were you doing with those amplifiers?

Subwoofer applications for both failures. First one we were goofing around after finishing up an install- running some sine sweeps, fairly hard down low and the amp just plain went poof. Shot a nice flame out the front. We were averaging peaks of -10 on the meters. Second failure I was not present for. It was installed in a restaurant/bar, running a pair of dual 15" subs. Guy said the subs started sounding really funny during the "first DJ set," and then they just stopped. Amp wouldn't even turn on.

Evan

Subwoofer applications for both failures. First one we were goofing around after finishing up an install- running some sine sweeps, fairly hard down low and the amp just plain went poof. Shot a nice flame out the front. We were averaging peaks of -10 on the meters. Second failure I was not present for. It was installed in a restaurant/bar, running a pair of dual 15" subs. Guy said the subs started sounding really funny during the "first DJ set," and then they just stopped. Amp wouldn't even turn on.

Evan

Load impedance?

Teure was a recall on the early run of the PLD amps, apparently there was a problem with one of the components in the amp that caused the failure, QSC actually premitively asked me to send mine back for a swap when they found out there was a problem.

I have been running them to Bi-Amp wedges with Awesome results, and I am looking to buy more of them very soon.

I don't thing that they have quite enough juice for Subwoofer applications for me, unless you are combining output channels.

Over all I am very happy with mine, and I am even Happier that they just reduced the prices quite a bit.

Luke

I've installed a few and quickly replaced them with PL380's. Toasted all of them within days of being installed.

Evan

I played in a club that had just installed them I blew up the one that was on subs. It only lasted about a song and a half. The 2 that ran the tops kept going, but didn't have the balls that the old iTechs have. I play in this room several times a year, and we typically do 2 night stands, so I'm fairly familiar with the rig.

The PLD 4.5 that was on subs was replaced with 2 XTi6002's and they were noticeably louder/better on the subs.

Its a shame too, because on paper these are awesome amps....

I think people are misinterpreting what these amps actually are. They are the PLX amp line, but with DSP and 4 channels inside 2RU. If you don't see a PLX amp working for your application then I doubt the PLD will work.

I'm not aware of any PLXs biting the dust when you run them on subs, in fact I ran a rig recently that had a pair of 2402s bridged running a pair of XI2181s with satisfactory results.