Qsc pld

Re: Qsc pld

I'm not aware of any PLXs biting the dust when you run them on subs, in fact I ran a rig recently that had a pair of 2402s bridged running a pair of XI2181s with satisfactory results.

Yes. And as I said in one of my earlier posts we run a PLD on one of our small "stack a side" systems. 2 channels on subs and 2 on tops and we have never had an issue with lack of power. It all depends on what speakers you are powering with them. Power hungry subs won't get along with these amps, nor would they get along with the PLX series.

Take a look at the QSC FAST whitepaper then look at some PLX schematics. I think you can deduce they are quite different.

I guess I didn't word this the correct way and it is being misinterpreted. To put it simply if the PLX3602 won't work for you application then i doubt the PLD will. If it would work, then the PLD will. We replaced a bunch of 3602's with them and we are happy (now that they are working...)

This would be my application, a utility rack that could go out for SOS, distributed, corporate stuff, small band PA, monitors, etc. I would be replacing PLX. Occasional duty on subs but not first and foremost.
It would seem the initial issues have been sorted, but the fact that there isn't a love fest for them is worrisome. Granted they don't say "Behringer" on the front, so maybe reactions are a bit more realistic. Bottom line for me is they need to be "no backups on site" reliable, I fear this may not be the case.

The 8 ohm spec on the Labs and Powersofts is down around 6 or 700 wpc, if I remember correctly. That is one of the things that appeals to me with the PLDs, as most of the time this type of use for me is at 8. PLD 4.5 is somewhere around 1200 @ 8, which doesn't matter one bit if it's actually ZERO because it broke.
I started out looking at the M50Q, might end up back there.

What about lab Gruppen ? Fp series is coming down in price on eBay... Or the ipd series is reasonable and powerful enough to run an SOS rig. I've powered kf650's with mine.

I pounded my 4.5 on subs for rock side fills the other night. Had the advance been proper I would have doubled the subs. So the amp worked hard driving 8ohm 600w Faital Pro 18s. 37.5hz-120hz. No sweat.

PLD Series amps are nothing related to PLX Series amps but the Logo. These are Class-D devices with proprietary Power output semiconductors. PLX (II, III) are based on Class-A/B and Class-H original topology since Series One, around factory foundation era. Some users have found their PL6.0 and PL9.0PFC to be the best bass duties devices of QSC Audio. Whilst the recent PL380 is said to have more power per channel than the PL6.0PFC, even the non-PFC version of the 6.0 gives tighter and deeper sound in the same applications.

Lab.gruppen iPD Series doesn't have Lake DSP processing inside.

Last edited:

I think people are misinterpreting what these amps actually are. They are the PLX amp line, but with DSP and 4 channels inside 2RU. If you don't see a PLX amp working for your application then I doubt the PLD will work.

Except for XLR inputs and Speakon output connectors, they have really nothing in common with PLX.

There will be a full-featured PLD/CXD software application coming out in the next two or three months.

They both use IEC power connectors as well.

Not entirely true: I have some PLX still in service that have permanently attached AC cables.

Also, clarifying Daniel's statement: He is saying USAGE or APPLICATION would be similar. Daniel, correct me if I got it wrong.

Bob, what is the company line regarding reliability of the PLD series?

Not entirely true: I have some PLX still in service that have permanently attached AC cables.

I do, too!

Also, clarifying Daniel's statement: He is saying USAGE or APPLICATION would be similar. Daniel, correct me if I got it wrong.

The PLX amps don't have such a specialized usage or application as that explanation suggests.

Bob, what is the company line regarding reliability of the PLD series?

The first production runs had a design defect in the output network that caused problems in some sub applications. QSC called in and reworked some hundreds of amps.

There have been a few firmware updates that incrementally improve the protection processes as we learn of shortcomings. They might never be foolproof, but they get better and should become more and more stable. Go to the web site periodically and download the latest firmware, then install it into your amps.

Matt thank you for seeing what I am saying. All I meant by what I stated was if you see 4 channels of PLX 3602 and some DSP working in your application then the PLD will work fine (even better) for you IN MY OPINION. This thread has become nothing but people comparing specs on the PLX to the PLD which isn't what it was meant for and I'm sorry about that.

Bob,
Since the dsp is Fir capable for the "intrinsic" correction, how about you guys throw in some all-pass functionality like the itechs? That would seal the deal for me.

Hey all,
I know that Bob has already addressed some of the earlier shortcomings with the PLD family... and has also recommended firmware updates -- I have to whole-heartedly second that. There have been some really quite massive and awesome improvements to the protection algorithms that our power team and DSP team have put a ton of time into. Really good stuff... stay tuned. Releases happen often!

Matt

Not sure if you guys have tried it or not, but the 4.5 in ABCD (all channels in parallel) makes a pretty monster sub amp -- especially if you have multiple subs in parallel. As we were working on the protection algorithms we regularly used a 4.5 in that mode driving 4x QSC SB-15121 subs in parallel. That is 4 4 ohm 21" subs in parallel! One ohm! Sooooo fun!

PLD Series amps are nothing related to PLX Series amps but the Logo. These are Class-D devices with proprietary Power output semiconductors. PLX (II, III) are based on Class-A/B and Class-H original topology since Series One, around factory foundation era. Some users have found their PL6.0 and PL9.0PFC to be the best bass duties devices of QSC Audio. Whilst the recent PL380 is said to have more power per channel than the PL6.0PFC, even the non-PFC version of the 6.0 gives tighter and deeper sound in the same applications.

Lab.gruppen iPD Series doesn't have Lake DSP processing inside.

Reactions: josiah berry