Quad Boxes

No, I was complaining about a costly fix due to lack of connectors.

As a lineman I see a lot of failures dealing with a lot more current then a edison plug.

Do this, plug a hairdryer in and crank it up full blast for 5 minutes, see whats the hottest part, the plug or the wire. It will be the plug, why its only contacting on a small part of the blade.

Take a 600 amp disconnect switch on a 13.2 kw feeder. What part of the circuit do you think will fail,,? The contact points at the end of the blade.

Take a sub transmission line 69 kv or transmission line 230 kv, barring lightnining strikes, where will it fail first, the wire, or a connection at a loop? , the connection. Point, make a connection as positive as possible, edison vs. wire nut,, wire nut!

Had a guitar player get a wack off the vocal mic this weekend, we got 32 volts from strings to mic, problem was, the ground on his iec cable was busted off in the moulding, going to his amp.

I can go on forever, but if you want to daisy chain a bunch of quad box's and rely on a press fit of high resistant edison plug vs. a wire nutted and well twisted pair of wires, have at it.

Also, never use the push in terminals on a receptical.

1000 +1 to this

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Re: Quad Boxes

For DJing and my small band setups, I will be making 3-4 quad box extension cords. I already have 14/3 SOOW in hand that I got at a yard sale (250ft for $20) :lol:. I plan on using outdoor 1 and 2 gang boxes since they are going to be used outside sometimes, along with a watertight compression strain relief. This way they can safely sit in the grass.

Let's see some of your pictures of your creations......

2fs-2 by Killark. Works for many of the premier production houses. I'm sure other models would work and the rubber quads are 'du-jour', but these will keep you in good company....

Available VERY cheap here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270846067117?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Use your cord, a proper Kellem and some nice plugs/receptacles and you'll put many full timers to shame for a reasonable sum.

***Edit - if you're using 14/3, obviously replace the split-t 20 a outlets provided with appropriate 15a...***

Regards,

M

Last edited: