Question on X32 Rack as studio keyboard mixer

Ben Horne

Jun 3, 2021
Vancouver, BC
Hi All.

I just got my X32 rack digital mixer, and am playing around with the routing so that it acts as a sub mixer for vintage synth modules.

I have the X32 Edit app installed and connected over ethernet.

My system is:
Mac Mini i7 2018 32GB RAM: Catalina. Logic Pro X

I use an Apollo twin with an Audiofuse 8Pre on ADAT as my primary audio interface, and have created an aggregate device with the Apollo/8Pre as the primary source and the X32 slaved to it with drift correction.

I have a bunch of Synths connected to the local X32 inputs, and the inputs are routed into Logic over USB. All working fine. I want to use the x32 mix for “live” performance in the studio, and record the clean streams to Logic when required.

When playing the synths live I send some of their signal to the FX bus to add reverb, delay, chorus etc. All working fine.

Is there a way to set up the FX returns in the X32 on a stereo bus that can be routed internally to a couple of linked inputs (eg inputs 15/16) so that that will be fed to Logic as a recording stream of the wet FX. If this can’t be done, then I want to route a stereo bus of the FX returns to outputs 1 & 2 to feed into inputs on the Apollo/8Pre, but this will surely add some latency.

I guess my question is: How do I set up the FX returns onto a stereo bus to route to outputs for wet FX return?

I have succeeded in creating the routing for the outputs and busses, but if anyone knows of a way to route the FX returns internally to work as inputs that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Ben

Thanks Brian, I have routed the FX returns to a linked bus that I've routed to a pair of XLR outputs, which works as well, but I'll try again routing to Aux sends as you suggest to free up the XLR outs.
What I wanted to do was route the FX returns internally to local inputs, but I guess this can't be done, so this is a fix.
Thanks
Ben

I guess I'm not clear on what you're asking. The FX returns are automatically routed internally to inputs (the FX returns). Are you saying you want to route them to channels instead? You can do that too, you just have to change the "Source" in the Config tab (I'm looking at the edit software, not on the hardware itself)

Yes, I already figured that out, but that uses up 8 inputs of my precious 16. I have applied the FX returns to a stereo bus, and want that bus to be routed to a couple of local inputs to appear as a wet FX mix in Logic over USB without using an X32 output. Maybe what I am asking is not possible, in which case the way I am doing it (routing the bus to XLR out 1&2 is working - just concerned about adding additional latency).
Thanks
Ben

I think I understand, possibly.

While the X32 Rack only has 16 physical mic inputs (plus the 6 Aux Inputs), it's still a 32 channel (40 if you count Aux In and USB In) mixer. So you can route your FX returns in Channels 17-24 since it's all internal processing/routing, and still be fine.

Does this solve the issue?

Thank you Brian. That is what I have attempted, but the returns don't seem translate into input channels over USB. You know what, the way I have it now is working for me, so I'll stick with it, but keep experimenting.

Thank you for your assisatance.
Ben

Logic only sees the physical preamps (excluding auxiliary ins), that’s the tap point for your software. Example, the rack has 16 preamps so that’s what logic can see, the X32 mixer has 32 preamps so logic would see 32 inputs.