Rack case for an 03d?

Kevin Unger

Freshman
Sep 20, 2011
Metro Detroit
I've just picked up a lightly used 03d and need to get a case for it.

It's old, can't find any info on what case would fit. All I know is which rack kit to get. More importantly, is there a normal case that an MI store (banjocenter, etc...) would carry - I do have a show coming up and would like it to be cased. No time to ship from someplace like audiopile.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Rack case for an 03d?

I've just picked up a lightly used 03d and need to get a case for it.

It's old, can't find any info on what case would fit. All I know is which rack kit to get. More importantly, is there a normal case that an MI store (banjocenter, etc...) would carry - I do have a show coming up and would like it to be cased. No time to ship from someplace like audiopile.

Thanks,
Kevin

When I needed to rack-mount a Yamaha 03D on the cheap I went with this model:
Road Ready - Road Ready Cases - Mixer Cases - Pro Mixer Cases - UNIVERSAL 19' MIXER CASE WITH RACK RAILS (FITS MOST 19' RACKMOUNTABLE MIXERS)

Only caveat is that you have to drill one or two extra holes in each of the Yamaha rack rails that bolt onto the side of the mixer:
The mixer is juuuust too deep for it to fit with the rails in the standard position, so the trick is to reposition the rails in a manner that places the mixer ever so slightly higher between the rack rails. It's very easy and you can keep using at least one of the original holes, so you can use those to guide you when setting the marks for where the holes need to be drilled. Edit: You also have to remove two of the plastic feet underneath the mixer for it to fit.

When I needed to rack-mount a Yamaha 03D on the cheap I went with this model:
Road Ready - Road Ready Cases - Mixer Cases - Pro Mixer Cases - UNIVERSAL 19' MIXER CASE WITH RACK RAILS (FITS MOST 19' RACKMOUNTABLE MIXERS)

Only caveat is that you have to drill one or two extra holes in each of the Yamaha rack rails that bolt onto the side of the mixer:
The mixer is juuuust too deep for it to fit with the rails in the standard position, so the trick is to reposition the rails in a manner that places the mixer ever so slightly higher between the rack rails. It's very easy and you can keep using at least one of the original holes, so you can use those to guide you when setting the marks for where the holes need to be drilled. Edit: You also have to remove two of the plastic feet underneath the mixer for it to fit.

Thanks Kristian

Drilling new mounting holes in the rack kit is no problem: My day job is machining!

-Kevin

I actually ended up making my own rack mount kit for my 03D. I've got the original Yamaha supplied kit, but it made the mixer sit way too high in my rack.
I have it mounted in a top mix rack that has the top rails mounted fairly close to the top. I'll se if I could snap a picture of it.

I actually ended up making my own rack mount kit for my 03D. I've got the original Yamaha supplied kit, but it made the mixer sit way too high in my rack.
I have it mounted in a top mix rack that has the top rails mounted fairly close to the top. I'll se if I could snap a picture of it.

I have a feeling I'm putting it in a contaier with some foam for this show.

I also have this feeling I'm going to be ordering stuff from penn-elcom and making a proper case. Is the ls9-16 roughly the same size? The EWI case looks great for the money.

I have a feeling I'm putting it in a contaier with some foam for this show.

I also have this feeling I'm going to be ordering stuff from penn-elcom and making a proper case. Is the ls9-16 roughly the same size? The EWI case looks great for the money.

Not having spent much time on the LS9-16 but assuming it's the same chassis size as the LS9-32 bar 16 faders of width, the 03D's actual chassis seems quite a bit taller from bottom to top, but the LS9 screen might tip the balance.

The 03D sits surprisingly much taller than a 01v96 if you place them next to eachother on a table. It's also surprisingly heavy in comparison.